Women's Soccer: Huskies wrap up non-conference play

With the Fordham game behind them, the Huskies turn to the American Conference schedule. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

With their 4-1 victory over Fordham (5-3-1), the UConn Women’s Soccer concluded their non-conference play for 2016. The Huskies went 8-2 against out of conference foes. Their two losses both came against ranked opponents. They fell to No. 22 Rutgers on August 28th 2-0 in a NCAA tournament rematch. They also fell to then No. 1 and current No. 3 Florida State in Tallahassee by a 3-0 score on Sept. 8.

Seven of their ten non-conference games were at home where their only loss was to Rutgers. They doubled opponents, outscoring them by a combined opponents 18-9 during that stretch of their schedule and the only two teams to shut them out were Rutgers and Florida State. On the opposite end, goalkeeper Emily Armstrong and the defense pitched 4 shutouts.

While ranked No. 23 in the coach’s poll through this point, their RPI, an NCAA metric calculated using their record and strength of schedule, puts them all the way down at 72nd. To this point, their amounts have amassed a cumulative 36-46-9. The Huskies will begin their foray into American conference play by hosting Tulsa on Sept. 29.

“Really we didn’t have any easy games. We survived the 1-0 games and did ok with the top teams,” said head coach Len Tsantiris about their non-conference efforts.

First Goals for Freshman

Fourteen minutes into their Thursday game against Fordham at Joseph J. Morrone stadium the Huskies strike first off the efforts of freshman midfielder Kristin Vinciguerra. For Vinciguerra, who had seen a lot of action in the back, getting the start at outside mid was a change of pace for her.

Senior Rachel Hill put a ball in the middle and Stephanie Ribeiro made her own effort to score, getting a heel on it, before the ball found its way to Vinciguerra who buried it. It was her first goal of her career.

“It was definitely special, something I’ll remember forever, but I’m just glad the team got the result today,” Vinciguerra said.

Vinciguerra wouldn’t be the only Husky to notch their first goal of the night. In the 80th minute, with Fordham threatening only down by one, UConn would score again. Ribeiro found freshman midfielder Alexa Casamiro deep in the box and she was able to put it away to give the Huskies a 3-1 lead.

Matt Barresi is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.barresi@uconn.edu.