Jon Bellion performs on Student Union terrace, asks audience to love one another

Jon Bellion performed at the annual fall concert held by SUBOG at the Student Union Terrace on Friday night.  (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)  

During Friday night’s fall concert, main act Jon Bellion asked his fans to love one another and to put an end to the negativity that has flooded the media recently.

“Don’t let fear win,” he told the crowd on UConn’s Student Union Terrace and Green.

Bellion played a mix of pop, rap and techno during his nearly one hour-long set. Bellion connected with the crowd by asking questions, telling stories and even asking one audience member to teach him the UConn Husky chant.

Two student groups, JuS and Kalimur, opened the free concert. By the time Bellion came on, the lawn was sparsely filled with blankets and chairs.

“When I first started playing shows at colleges about a year ago, no one came,” Bellion said during the show.

Brett Steinberg, a seventh-semester communication and journalism major, said he enjoyed Friday’s concert and thought the crowd did too.

"When Bellion gave his speech, it was a nice moment to know what he was thinking,” Steinberg said. “Art is one of those things that’s holding up the light above the darkness. I felt something in the air when he said that.”

Steinberg, a fan of Bellion before attending the show, is the singer and piano player for Kalimur.

“Bellion is one of those really intriguing artists because of all the influences that go into his songs.”

Bellion began his career in 2011. In 2013, he wrote the chorus to “The Monster” by Eminem and Rihanna, a song that won a Grammy in 2015. Bellion also co-wrote a produced “Trumpets,” sung by Jason Derulo.

He released his first studio album in June of this year titled “The Human Condition.” He will begin touring next month and will continue into April of next year.

The concert, hosted by the Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG), was originally scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. A week or so before the concert, SUBOG announced it was pushed up to 4 p.m. Although students filed onto the lawn at 4 p.m., the openers didn’t come on until 5:30 p.m. Rumors flew that the change was mandated by the university because it didn’t want loud music during class times.

Bellion is one of those really intriguing artists because of all the influences that go into his songs.
— Brett Steinberg

Although some audience members seemed bothered by the delay, Steinberg said he thought it was a good thing.

“When Bellion went on, it was finally dark enough to appreciate the lights on stage,” Steinberg said. “It was a blessing in disguise.”

After the show Bellion tweeted, “UConn that was epic.”

Claire Galvin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at