Field Hockey: Perfect record continues in dual wins over Temple and BU

Efthimia Kutrubis takes on a Temple opponent in a 6-0 shutout home victory at the Sherman Sports Complex on Friday, Sept. 23, 2016. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

The No. 3 UConn Huskies improved to 9-0 this weekend after wins over both the Temple Owls and the No. 9 Boston University Terriers.

The Huskies took care of Temple Friday afternoon in a 6-0 shutout home victory at the Sherman Sports Complex. Junior Charlotte Veitner followed up her six-goal performance against Virginia last weekend with a hat trick against the Owls. Goalkeeper Nina Klein stopped the only shot she faced on that day.

It was the second straight shutout for the Huskies, and that’s something the team takes a lot of pride in, according to head coach Nancy Stevens.

“We’re always happy when we have a shutout, that’s our goal,” Stevens said. “That means defensively we were really sound. On the other side, six goals in our sport is a lot, we had balanced scoring. [Charlotte] had a hat trick, which is great for her, but we had three other contributors too. It was good all the way around.”

The No. 9 Terriers came into Sunday’s game after suffering a double overtime upset Friday night at the hands of Lafayette College. It was their first loss of the season. No matter the loss, Stevens knew BU was going to be a tough road trip for her team.

“It’s not a conference game for us but I think a lot is at stake,” Stevens said. “Someone will be leaving the field as one of the best teams in the country and we’re going to try our very best to make sure it’s us.”

The Huskies beat the Terriers by a score of 5-1 at New Balance Field in downtown Boston. Junior Casey Umstead led the offense with two goals, and Veitner once again found the back of the net.

The goal was Veitner’s 12th of the season, a team high. It also tied Veitner with former Olympian Tracey Fuchs for second on UConn Field Hockey’s all-time points list, with 178 points. She is just 36 points away from the record.

“It’s been a dramatic improvement in [Veitner’s] ability to score,” Stevens explained. “Last year she was the nation’s highest scorer. Now she’s got her scoring boots back on. But we’re the type of team where we don’t care who scores to be honest. If its not Charlotte, it’ll be somebody else.”

In the last five games, the Huskies have outscored opponents 25-2. Stevens credited the success to the work ethic of her team.

“The players work really hard at practice,” Stevens said. “You have to earn every victory, so if you’re willing to work hard at practice and come into the game prepared, you’re going to be successful. Our team works really hard, that’s where the success comes from.”

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at He tweets @conn_donahue.