Men's Soccer: Huskies seek four in a row

Sebastian Brems dribbles past defenders during UConn's 5-1 victory over Loyola on Saturday, Sept. 17, 2016 at Morrone Stadium. The Huskies look to continue their win streak on Wednesday as they travel to Providence to take on the Friars. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

After winning three straight matches, the Huskies (6-3) will travel to Providence, Rhode Island to play against the Friars (4-4) for the first time since 2012. The last match the two played was the Big East championship at Morrone Stadium in 2012; as UConn won 2-0 behind goals by Carlos Alvarez and Mamadou Doudou Diouf.

Following wins over Loyola Maryland, Rhode Island and a conference win over Temple, UConn is seeking their first four-game winning streak since Oct. 27- Nov. 13th of last year where they won two regular season matches and two American Athletic tournament games. Providence is currently on a two game losing streak with those losses coming at home to Georgetown and on the road at Butler. Both UConn and Providence have lost to Georgetown this season as UConn beat Rhode Island while Providence lost at home 2-1 in double overtime.

UConn and Providence had scheduled matches the last two seasons but after rainouts these matches never came to fruition. Right after beating Temple, Coach Ray Reid, when asked about the Providence showdown said “We have to be ready to go, we haven’t gotten through Temple yet, but we will be ready.” The two teams have a long history dating back to 1973 as the Huskies hold a 32-6-2 all-time record.

Proceeding the shutout victory against Temple and the win over Rhode Island, Redshirt junior and goalkeeper Scott Levene was selected as the American Athletic Conference Goalkeeper of the Week, while senior tri-captain Jake Nerwinski was tabbed as the league's Defender of the Week. Joining these two was sophomore striker, Abdou Mbacke Thiam, who earned a spot on the weekly honor roll.

Levene, who holds an .825 save percentage and is averaging 3.67 saves per match and ranks 31st in the nation with a 0.77 goals against average has been in great form over the three game winning streak. He is very excited for the upcoming matchup against the Friars as he said, “We were supposed to play them two years in a row but it got rained out. We are excited they are a good team…we can’t be so high on ourselves right now that we overlook Providence. We need to really focus, get ready, get rested and be ready to go on Wednesday.”

Through nine matches, UConn ranks 26th nationally with a 0.77 goals against average and senior tri-captain Kwame Awuah stands at eigth in the country with 0.67 assist per match. For the Huskies, Awuah leads the team with six assists and Thiam is dominating with 13 points and six goals.

Providence is 3-2 at home this year while UConn is 1-2 on the road. The two will play Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 7 p.m. and the match will be broadcasted on, 91.7 FM.

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at