Point/Counterpoint: Are Odell Beckham’s antics worth the results?

New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. (13) runs away from Washington Redskins' Josh Norman (24) during the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Sept. 25, 2016, in East Rutherford, N.J. (Kathy Willens/AP)

All of the talk coming into week three of the NFL season was about the rematch. Beckham versus Norman part two. Last season, the two made countless headlines for the constant fighting during the game, which led to a one game suspension.

This time, as the Redskins visited the Giants, Norman allowed Beckham to take the spotlight, while Washington took the game. The game featured the best and worst of Odell Beckham Jr., including tears, rage and another gorgeous one-handed catch. The question is: are the dangerous and emotional antics of Beckham worth the results on the field for the Giants?

Shahan Kamal: Josh Norman continues to claim that Beckham is only famous for one catch, which doesn’t give Beckham credit for burning through the record books week after week. Beckham did it again this week, with a catch that is arguably as phenomenal as his famous three-finger grab while being interfered with. This time, Odell got between Norman and the safety in coverage, leapt up and cradled the ball in his left hand. As a right-handed receiver, the left handed grab is very impressive, but is even more so when noticing that he gets clobbered by the safety and holds onto the ball. It was a huge statement by Beckham to make such a catch over Norman, showing that his famed catch was no fluke. The catch was by far the best of the many Odell Beckham moments in that game.

Isaiah Chisolm: We've seen a number of phenomenal catches by Odell Beckham Jr in the past and there is no doubt they are impressive to watch. However, have they equated to anything important? With the New York Giants missing out on the playoffs last year we never did get to see the magic where it mattered. This can also be said about Sunday’s game against the Redskins, where his catch was made in a losing effort. No matter how many one-handed catches he makes, if he loses the game they are forgettable.

Odell's rage and tears highlight this fact. The New York Giants could easily be 1-2 after this loss and a game that the Dallas Cowboys could not finish. In fact, the Giants have not had a very convincing game as they struggled to beat the New Orleans Saints week two in New Jersey. These outbursts of rage encompass the Giants perfectly and are far more relevant then his athleticism.

Kamal: Although the Giants don’t always win games where Beckham has a great catch, it’s hard to argue that he’s to blame for their losses. He was covered by Josh Norman, who is considered by some to be the best cornerback in the game, and had his best game of the season so far. It was an incredible play by Odell Beckham to give his team a chance to get a huge win over the defending NFC East champions. You can argue that his one-handed catch didn’t win the game, but he wasn’t the target on the other end of either of Eli Manning’s two interceptions that cost them the game. In his third year and under immense pressure to succeed, Beckham did everything he could to give the Giants a chance to win. A leaping, left-handed grab followed by a crushing hit would’ve been dropped by almost anyone else, especially if Josh Norman was covering them.

Chisolm: His attitude does play a big role. Last year against Washington he was fined and suspended one game. This time around he manifested his emotions and looked back doing so. Case in point, the part of the game when he intentionally struck a kickers practice net just to have it rebound in his face. His own tears about the team’s ineptitude mid-game was also a point of emphasis as Manning had to go and calm him down. It's been shown his emotions can easily take over a game, be they good or bad, and if there was ever any red light during the game it came here. The loss only made it look worse.

Shahan Kamal is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at shahan.kamal@uconn.edu.

Isaiah Chisolm is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at isaiah.chisolm@uconn.edu