TV show 'Pitch' leaves viewers wanting more

Kylie Bunbury attends the "Pitch" screening and panel discussion at the 2016 PaleyFest Fall TV Previews on Thursday, Sept. 8, 2016, in Beverly Hills, California. (Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP)

Among the fall premieres of the past few weeks, one show seems especially promising to the average American viewer.

FOX’s “Pitch” stars Kylie Bunbury as Ginny Baker, the first woman to play major league baseball. Bunbury is joined by Mark-Paul Gosselaar, Ali Larter, Mark Consuelos, Dan Lauria and a few others.

Ginny is scouted by the San Diego Padres from the minor leagues. The 23-year-old starts as pitcher in her very first game.

Amid practices, press conferences and games, flashbacks are shown of Ginny trying out for her first boys’ team, her minor league championship win and her father’s harsh practice techniques. Her father was a baseball player as well, but never made it to the majors.

Ginny is rivaled by Mike Lawson (Mark-Paul Gosselaar), the mouthy, bossy and attractive catcher and captain of the team. Ginny and Mike seem to get along by the end of the pilot, although some conflict could definitely arise later in the season.

Gosselaar seemed vaguely familiar to me, but I couldn’t place him. A quick Google search named him as Zach from “Saved by the Bell,” a.k.a., my first childhood crush.

Ginny’s first game is embarrassing. After 10 balls, and three or four walks, coach calls a timeout and meets Ginny and Mike on the mound. Ginny asks to be taken out, which shocks them both.

In this undated photo provided by FOX, actress Kylie Bunbury is shown in the "The Interim" episode of "Pitch" which is airing Thursday, Sept. 29, 2016. Remarkably, the lead actress and lead writer of "Pitch" have been asked by strangers whether the Fox TV series about the first woman in the major leagues is based on a true story. (Ray Mickshaw/Fox via AP)

After the disappointing game, she mopes around her hotel room for a few minutes until her dad arrives. They fight for a few moments about her lousy performance before entering into the age-old fight about family honor and tradition. “Ginny, you’re throwing away your dream.” “No, dad, I’m throwing away yours!” *Insert eye roll.* What is it about dads and forcing their children to play ball?

I’ll give credit where it is due and say that the end threw me for a loop. The twist is one that I didn’t see coming, but after review of the show I realized it made perfect sense.

Although the average college viewer probably doesn’t care about television ratings, I think it’s important to mention that I’m not sure this program is appropriately rated. Rated TV-14, the show has a few cuss words, drinking scenes and adult discussions.  The phrase “tapped that a**” might be something you’ll say casually in front of your friends, but I’m not sure you would want your little sister to hear.

I’m interested to see where this show will lead. That fact that Ginny is the first African American female pitcher in the major leagues will continue to irk the managers and critics within the show, as well as some viewers in the real world.

The pilot episode is available online at Watch “Pitch” on Thursdays at 9 p.m. on FOX.

Rating: A-

Claire Galvin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at