Men’s Hockey: Cavanaugh signs five-year extension

The men's hockey team celebrates a special senior night by defeating the University of New Hampshire 4-1 on Friday, Feb. 26, 2016. Starting Friday, Coach Mike Cavanaugh will be entering his fourth year at the helm for UConn in 2016-17. (Amat Batra/The Daily Campus)

The icebus’ driver will remain there a for a few more years.

UConn men’s hockey coach Mike Cavanaugh has signed a five-year extension to remain head coach of he Huskies through the 2020-21 season, as first reported by Mark Divver of the Providence Journal and confirmed by the Hartford Courant’s John Altavilla.

Cavanaugh will be entering his fourth year at the helm for UConn in 2016-17 and has compiled a 39-54-15 record in his three seasons with the Huskies. After taking over the program during UConn’s last season in Atlantic Hockey, Cavanaugh has led the Huskies to some recent success during their first two seasons in Hockey East, winning 21 games and earning the program’s first home playoff series. In his time at UConn, Cavanaugh has helped the Huskies upset six nationally-ranked teams, including No. 3 Boston College in program’s first-ever game at Hartford’s XL Center in 2014.

One of Cavanaugh’s biggest strengths as a coach is his ability to recruit, something he has exhibited since his days as an assistant coach at Boston College. At UConn, Cavanaugh has already brought in talents such as Tage Thompson and Joe Masonius, with Thompson becoming the program’s first-ever first round pick in the NHL Draft, taken No. 26 overall by the St. Louis Blues. Masonius was selected by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the sixth round.

Cavanaugh also has standout Max Letunov, who posted a 40-point season and was named to the Hockey East All-Conference and All-Rookie teams as a freshman. For this season, Cavanaugh has added highly-touted goaltender Adam Huska and graduate student forward Brian Morgan, who joins the Huskies from Maine.

UConn is predicted to finish seventh in Hockey East this season according to a recently released Hockey East media poll.

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at He tweets @dmad1433