Volleyball: Huskies, Owls face off in Gampel on Wednesday evening

Outside hitter Kayla Williams (6) spikes the ball during UConn's 3-0 set shut-out of the University of Houston on Friday, Sept. 30, 2016. The Huskies continue conference play against Temple on Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2016 in Gampel Pavilion. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus) 

UConn women’s volleyball is taking on Temple today at 5 p.m. in Gampel Pavilion. The Huskies (11-2) are looking to remain undefeated in American Athletic Conference play as they take on the Temple Owls (8-4) who have split their first two games of conference play 1-1.

UConn is playing at a high level right off the bat, averaging 14.98 kills per set to rank third in the nation. Senior Camille Evans had a career-high 16 kills last game with multiple other players having great games, such as Kenya Cason. Red shirt freshman Kayla Williams will also be a threat as she leads the team with 181 kills, as well as Rebecca Rivera who leads with 254 assists.

Temple also had a great performance in their last match as Irem Asci recorded her career high 26 kills for the Owls. The team defeated Houston in four sets as they won 3-1. Asci is leading the team in kills this year with 194 while also providing 12 assists. Not only that, her 4.31 kills per set rank her second in The American. Kyr Coundourides has provided an impressive 465 assists in the season, averaging over 10 assists per set.

Temple and UConn split the series last year, with both teams winning at home. However, if UConn continues to play as well offensively as they have been, it will be hard for the Owls to force a fifth set from the Huskies. UConn is tied for first in conference play with two wins and hopes to continue their total win streak to four. Temple is really looking for a win to turn their conference and total record around after an 8-4 start to their season. However, three of those losses came in a row and two were in the Puerto Rico Clasico, where they lost to both Virginia Tech and University of Alabama. They finished their non-conference play with five wins before losing 2-3 to Tulane in their conference opener, so they will have to come out strong against UConn to turn their season up.

Joe Burns is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joseph.burns@uconn.edu.