What you need to know about the Greys Anatomy season 13 premiere

All the highlights about the season 13 premiere of Greys Anatomy which aired September 22nd at 8 p.m. on ABC. (Courtesy/Creative Commons)

Millions of fans watched the Grey's Anatomy season premiere on Sept. 22 at 8 p.m. on ABC. The episode “Undo” picked up at Amelia and Owen’s wedding, while one of the hospital’s interns is in critical condition during their celebration after being beat up by Dr. Karev.

A major conflict for this season centers Jo, Alex’s love interest, who drunkenly had intern Deluca fall with her, which Alex saw. Unknown to Alex, we know that Deluca was sober and taking care of drunk Jo. Here, bad timing once again implemented in such a unique way that both upsets and captivates the viewer, leaving you wanting to see the resolution unfold.  

Alex’s past behavior immediately came out as he abused Deluca, and viewers will not be pleased by his continuously impulsive temper. Tension quickly escalates as the authorities investigate what happened to Deluca, but Alex’s morals led him to turn himself in.

As expected from season 12, Meredith Grey may have a possible new love interest, who her half sister is unfortunately attracted to. Meredith remains the glue holding all the characters together and continues to remind us of Patrick Dempsey’s death- better known as Dr. Shepherd’s death.

On a lighter note, April and Avery’s post-divorce conflict seems to have subsided after a nerve wracking C-section, and there is now some hope for a rekindled romance as they take on their new roles as parents.

The episode concluded with the main character, Meredith, reiterating advice on accepting the past and moving forward. From season one, four characters of the original cast remain including Dr. Karev, whose career is threatened by a trial for aggravated assault.

As a viewer from season one, I still am captivated by how Shonda Rhimes, creator of “Grey’s Anatomy,” continues to allow us to experience a dramatic storyline and character growth. Not only does this show entertain, but it continues to bring life lessons portrayed over such a long-term period by a talented cast.

Filled with drama, suspense, romance, life lessons and medical cases, “Grey’s Anatomy” holds great potential to keep millions of fans interested for season 13 this fall on Thursdays on ABC.  

Sharon Sorto is a contributor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at sharon.sorto@uconn.edu.