“Love Is Listening” brings hope to UConn community

In honor of Suicide Prevention Week a field of memories will be on display for students at the University of Connecticut. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

In honor of Suicide Prevention Week a field of memories will be on display for students at the University of Connecticut.

The “Field of Memories” is a collection of flags that can be seen on the lawn on Fairfield Way in remembrance of the thousand and more suicides that take place every year on college campuses.

The yellow flags say “Be aware, show you care,” and many feature personal notes on them from friends and family members who have lost someone to suicide. One of these notes reads, “I didn’t know you well, but I’ve stayed up at night remembering you.”  

On Tuesday the 27th, the Spring Valley Student Farm sponsored the “Planting Flowers of Joy” event between Laurel Hall and the Student Union.

Starting at 4 p.m., daffodil bulbs were planted by recruited students walking by in circles in the soil.

The idea is that the beautiful and bright flowers will come up in the spring and remind us that there is always hope and a light in the darkness of mental illness.

“Being outdoors and getting fresh air is proven to ease depression,” explains Outreach Coordinator Erin Cox.

This year’s theme is “love is listening,” which reminds us that by listening, we can make a huge difference in someone’s life.

Everyone knows someone who’s been affected by suicide. Always remember that by educating yourself and spreading awareness, you can help to decrease the statistics. UConn offers countless counseling opportunities and many hotlines including Infoline Suicide Hotline 1-800-203-1234. If you or anyone you know is struggling with thoughts of suicide, please don’t hesitate to seek help.

Cynthia Reinert is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at cynthia.reinert@uconn.edu