Fantasy Football: Start/Sit for Week Four

San Diego Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers (17) throws during the first half of an NFL football game against the Indianapolis Colts, Sunday, Sept. 25, 2016, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Jeff Roberson)

Three weeks have passed in the NFL season and we are coming off of another exciting week. There are five undefeated teams left in the league, but I know you aren’t worried about that, so long as your fantasy football team is winning. So, to keep your winning up, I am here to tell you who you should start and sit in Week 4.

Start QB: Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers

Since the start of the season, Philip Rivers has yet to throw an interception. Although his Chargers are 1-2 on the season, the two losses they have were one possession games and you can’t put much of the blame on Rivers. The Chargers have averaged 31 points per game to start off the season, which is a pretty solid amount. Now, I think this week will be an even bigger scoring week for the Chargers because they are playing a Saints team that has not shown up at all this year. The Saints are 0-3 and a big part of that is credited to their defense. The Saints are coming off of a Week 3 match-up where they gave up 45 points on Monday Night Football and their defense gives up 32 points per game. Rivers against Drew Brees is going to be a shootout but I am going with Rivers.

Sit QB: Eli Manning, New York Giants

Two-time Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning has had a decent year so far, but the Giants’ opponent this week definitely should put Manning on everybody’s bench. Yes, Manning threw for over 300 yards and had a touchdown last week but all of that should be discredited, as he threw two huge interceptions that pretty much handed the game over to his division rivals, the Washington Redskins. It was a chippy game and I don’t know if that’s what got to Manning, but he just couldn’t handle it. This week the Giants are up against a totally different animal, the Minnesota Vikings. The Vikings’ undefeated record is due largely to their defense. They have given up 13.3 points per game on the season and have played Super Bowl favorites such as the Green Bay Packers and the Carolina Panthers. They embarrassed elite quarterbacks such as Aaron Rodgers and Cam Newton, and Eli is next. Sorry Peyton’s little brother, you’re not getting the nod this week.

Start RB: Le’Veon Bell, Pittsburgh Steelers

He’s back; arguably the best running back in the NFL in Le’Veon Bell is returning from a three-game suspension this week. The Steelers have been running with veteran running back DeAngelo Williams for the first three weeks of the season and he is currently second in rushing yards. If Williams is second in rushing yards at age 33 behind that Steelers offensive line, can you imagine what a 24-year old superstar like Bell could do? Aside from that, coach Mike Tomlin says to expect a lot of action from Bell this weekend, not shying away from their game plan at all. The Steelers are also facing the Kansas City Chiefs and the Chiefs are in the lower half of the NFL when it comes to run defense. Whoever took that draft pick hit for the first three weeks and grabbed Bell, he’s back this week and your team should be much better.

Sit RB: Christine Michael, Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks have found a pretty solid back in Christine Michael and his fantasy stock has gone up as of late, but this week won’t be the same. With Russell Wilson banged up and Michael being the only legitimate running back on the depth chart for Seattle, it is pretty obvious that they will want to feed him the ball as much as they can. Unfortunately for them, they are playing the New York Jets. Now, last week the Jets didn’t have such a solid game, largely due to Ryan Fitzpatrick, who threw six interceptions. But something that never cracks on the Jets is their rush defense. The Jets are ranked third in rush defense in the NFL, only giving up 71 yards per game, and they have only given up one rushing touchdown on the year. I am sure that front line will come out angry, and knowing Seattle may be handing it off quite a bit, I think Christine Michael may have a tough time coming out of that backfield.

Start WR: Kelvin Benjamin, Carolina Panthers

The 6-foot-5, 245-pound animal Kelvin Benjamin is coming off of a game which he considers his “worst career game” versus Minnesota where he had zero receptions. I know that is not very convincing but hear me out. During Benjamin’s first two games of the year, he had a combined 13 receptions for 199 yards and three touchdowns. Those are huge stats. Also, the Panthers will not be playing a defense filled with as much firepower as they did last week when they faced Minnesota. The Panthers are actually facing a defense in Atlanta that gives up over 30 points per game. Former MVP Cam Newton is going to find Benjamin a whole lot next week. They will not receive another beatdown, I promise you that.

Sit WR: Tavon Austin, Los Angeles Rams

Tavon Austin is questionably the best receiver out in L.A. and has had a pretty solid season, but this week there are a few factors that should keep him out of your lineup. That starts with an Instagram post he put up that showed him in a sling. Now, with no reports of injury yet, this could simply be a precautionary measure taken after practices, but I don’t think it is worth the risk this week anyway. The Rams play the Cardinals in Arizona this week and even coming off of a surprising loss in Buffalo, one thing did not change for the Cardinals: Patrick Peterson is really good. The 26-year-old defensive back out in Arizona had one of the most spectacular interceptions ever last week and even after a loss, we know what to expect out of him. We also know what to expect out of the guys he’s covering and that is nothing at all. I would stay away from Austin; between Arizona’s defense and that suspect Instagram post, I don’t see why he’s a good choice this week.

Bobby Farris is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at