Field Hockey: Huskies travel to Providence for Big East matchup

UConn field hockey beat Temple with an overall score of 6-0 on Friday afternoon. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

On Friday evening, the UConn field hockey team will play their third Big East game of the season as the Huskies hit the road to take on Providence College.

No. 1 ranked UConn (10-0) is looking to build on their perfect record. The Huskies are coming off an 8-1 victory over UMass on Wednesday afternoon at the George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex. On the season, UConn has outscored opponents 49-9.

Junior forward Charlotte Veitner is playing exceptionally well for the Huskies. In the last four games, Veitner has scored 14 goals. On the season, she leads the team with 16 goals, and is leading all of Division I with 1.6 goals per game.

The Friars (8-2) are on a five-game winning streak, and come into the matchup tied with UConn at the top of the Big East standings at 2-0 in conference play. Providence is undefeated at Lennon Family Field this year, the site of Friday’s game.

During their recent winning streak, Providence has outscored their opponents 15-5. The Friars’ offensive attack is led by senior Adrienne Houle, who has scored nine goals on the season. Houle was a unanimous selection to the Preseason All-Big East team, and she is performing at that high level so far this season.

In last season’s matchup between the Huskies and Friars, UConn was victorious by a score of 8-0. That game was also played in Providence. However, the Huskies don’t expect a similar margin of victory this time around.

“Providence, they’re having a really strong season,” UConn head coach Nancy Stevens said. “We’re playing at their place, so it should be a competitive game.”

In addition to a fight for first place in the Big East standings, Providence might have a little extra motivation when they take on UConn. This week’s NFHCA coaches poll has the Huskies ranked No. 1 in the country. With the top ranking, the Huskies know that every team will be giving their best effort to try to knock them off.

“People get excited to play the number one ranked team, trust me,” Stevens said. “We have to be ready for that.”

Friday’s game will be played at 5 p.m. at Lennon Family Field in Providence, Rhode Island.

Josh Buser is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at