The Weekend Shuttle: One bus doing the job of many

The weekend bus route, which covers all of campus and some destinations off-campus. The Weekend Shuttle is available for use from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM on Saturdays and from 6:00 PM to Midnight on Sundays. It completes a loop around campus every 37 minutes. (Graphic/Olivia Crosby)

There is only one bus in operation on campus during the weekends at the University of Connecticut; and contrary to popular belief, the Weekend Shuttle is more reliable than the weekday buses, according to UConn Transportation Services director Dennis Solensky.

The Weekend Shuttle is available for use from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM on Saturdays and from 6:00 PM to Midnight on Sundays. It completes a loop around campus every 37 minutes.

The shuttle stops at all dorms, Northwood, Charter Oak, Hilltop, and Mansfield Apartments as well as W-Lot / Husky Village.

“Actually, it can be easier for buses to keep their schedule on weekends due to significantly less traffic (in both vehicles and pedestrians),” Solensky said in an email.

The need for another Weekend Shuttle will be re-evaluated in October. Transportation Services does this once a year to see if things have changed relative to the route usage, Solensky said.

“Most classes do not occur on weekends, so naturally there is a huge reduction in travel and bus usage by students,” Solensky said. “That being the case, the same volume of service is not operated as would be provided on weekdays when classes are in session.”

“We try to operate our largest volumes of service when the most people wish to travel, while keeping in mind the constraints of our budget,” Solensky said.

To find out the current location and the time points for any UConn bus, go to http://transpo.uconn.edu/. The website has a live map tracking every GPS on each bus. The service can also be accessed by downloading the Ride Systems app, available for iPhone and Android.

John Moore is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jonathan.w.moore@uconn.edu.