Craigslist scam targets UConn students

The ad looked for a young woman with "an overall cute face." (File photo)

There was an ad listed on Craigslist on Sept. 4th that was asking for “attractive females for medical roleplay” with $100/hour pay.

It was evident that the person who posted the ad was specifically targeting UConn students.

“I’m looking for attractive female models in the 18-35 year old range, preferably a UConn student,” the ad read. “You don’t have to be a runway model, as long as you’re in good shape and have an overall cute face.”

It went on to say that the job entails a young woman to play the role of a patient for a realistic medical exam scenario and the pay.

“It’s an easy and fun way to make $250, and you’ll probably learn a lot as well…Please, no males or spammers,” the ad read.

One person who replied to the ad was Anna Salinger.

“I saw that creepy Craigslist ad and I was compelled to engage the guy,” Sallinger said.

Salinger and the person had an email correspondence. Over time the poster’s emails had gotten more defensive as Salinger asked more questions.

For example, Salinger had pointed out that the picture was of a gynecological setting and asked why. The poster had responded that it was because he was afraid of seeing his wife visiting a doctor and had wanted to do it for himself so he could feel comfortable when she [his wife] went a doctor’s office.

He went on to call the roleplay “immersion therapy” and in another email had described his physical features to Salinger.

Salinger agreed that would want to be paid after the roleplay, but had emailed the poster asking for his phone number and home address, where the roleplay was to take place.

“I need your address as to establish a bit of security and feelings of trust,” Sallinger said.

Salinger also told the poster that she was the at-risk party in this situation.

The poster responded that he did not want to do business with someone who was having reservations, and that he was also an at-risk party if he gave her his home address where his family lives.

This ad posting is under investigation by UConn Police. If you feel that you are the victim of a Craigslist scam on campus, you should contact UCPD.

Annabelle Orlando is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at She tweets @AnnabelleOrlando