Luke Cage premieres on Netflix today

Mike Colter, left, and Rosario Dawson, attend the Netflix's original series premiere of Marvel's "Luke Cage" at the AMC Magic Johnson Harlem 9 Theater on Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2016, in New York. (Andy Kropa/Invision/AP)

Premiering today on Netflix is a new original series, “Luke Cage,” which will add to the ever growing Marvel Cinematic Universe alongside the ongoing series’ of “Daredevil,” “Jessica Jones” and “Agents of Shield.”

For those who don’t know who Luke Cage is, I’ll be happy to channel my inner Marvel nerd to explain briefly. First off, Luke Cage is a superhero by all standards of understanding within the MCU, however the character would hardly consider himself as such. He comes from the Marvel canon of comic books and is popularly known as being a member of “The Defenders,” an Avenger-esque super group focused on the micro events of the world such as urban crime.

The character of Luke Cage originated in the first season of ”Jessica Jones,” where the two characters Jessica and Luke had rather sultry affair with one another. That being said it should be noted that Jessica also has superpowers tantamount to that of Superman (super strength, indestructibility and flying) however the origin of her powers are shrouded in mysteries.

In the upcoming “Luke Cage” series, fans of the MCU may find just how the characters of these Netflix hits became these super powered entities, a question that audiences may be dying to find out. One can see just exactly how indestructible Cage is by watching the trailer.

As we wade into this new series one may have high expectations. The noir style of these shows paints a much darker picture about super heroes as many might understand, especially those who may be tired of the traditional hero-beats-villain trope. The characters of Jones, Cage and Daredevil acquired their super human abilities against their will or by tragic accident. Given the story of both “Jessica Jones” as well as “Daredevil” these uncanny heroes, if they are that at all aren’t focused on saving the world but merely trying to find a place in it while The Avengers hold the attention of the public eye in MCU.

If one needs a binge worthy show for the weekend, this may have come at just the right time.

Matthew Gilbert is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at He tweets @wickedlouddude