Marching Band offers preview show at Sherman Family Complex

The UConn Marching Band gave a preview show at the Sherman Family Complex on Saturday night. (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut students and faculty saw a glimpse of the UConn Marching Band’s routine during a preview show on Saturday night at the Sherman Family Complex.

The show began with the National Anthem and the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Band Director Dr. David Mills, who led the band for more than 25 years, conducted during the Anthem.

The audience was even able to see the last few minutes of a rehearsal, which ran late. The band did a few sets to practice their songs. The band worked on their footwork, notes and memorization of the new songs.

Announcer Frank Pappalardo, who has announced for the last 44 years, tried to teach the audience a few things about marching between sets.

“A few thousand repetitions is the best way to learn. We’ve had about six,” Pappalardo said. “It’s about trusting in the talent and intelligence that’s on the field. It’s a lot of cooperation and interdependence. Three hundred people don’t learn that quickly.”

The announcer said that the band members worked hard for two weeks, which is already a quarter of their season.

The program did not follow the printed schedule, possibly because the band still had a few songs to work on.

The informally dressed band played Paula Abdul’s “Coldhearted,” T.I’s “Big Things Poppin’” (a band favorite) and Cameo’s “Word Up!” The band also played a Prince tribute medley, an Earth Wind & Fire medley and RockQuiem Part 1 and 2.

In between songs, introductions of the band faculty, student leaders, coordinators and chair members were given. The announcer also raffled off two UConn flags and one pillow made out of an old band uniform.

The drum majors this year are Anna Scillitoe, Carson Poli and Tim Paproski. Band captains are Aaron Ovsiew, Kevin Mackiewica, Tom Xu and Justina Strycharz.

The night ended with the Husky Fight Song and a sung version of the Alma Mater.

The marching band will take the field at the Pratt and Whitney Stadium at Rentschler field on Sept. 17.

Claire Galvin is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.