USG seeks candidates for senator seats

USG had its first meeting of the 2016-2017 school year in the student union on Wednesday evening. Items on the agenda included swearing in new senators, committee presentations and the discussion and passage of new election legislature. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut’s Undergraduate Student Government (USG) is accepting applications for Senate candidates for the 2016–2017 academic year. Interested students must turn in their applications by noon on Friday, Sept. 9.

According to Section One of USG’s Fall 2016 Election Packet, candidates must be registered, degree-seeking undergraduates at UConn’s Storrs campus who pay the Student Government fee.

Applicants must gather 50 signatures, fill out an additional form and turn in their materials to the USG office in the Student Union, Room 219. Ten of the signatures must come from students in the candidate’s constituency.

There are 44 seats to represent individual residential areas (including eight open for commuters), as well 16 seats open to represent particular schools such as the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) or the School of Business.

If all open seats are filled, this will be the largest Senate in recent school history, USG Speaker George Wang said. He added that this is justified considering that UConn’s student body has grown in recent years.

USG election campaigns will take place from Sept. 10–12, and then students will be able to vote from Sept. 13–14.

Chris McDermott is the news editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.mcdermott@uconn.edu.