Confessions of a Fashionista: Trends to hop on this fall

The leaves are changing color and a cool breeze is starting to flow through campus. Some would be worried that cold weather is among us, but that might not be such a bad thing. Cozy sweaters, riding boots and scarf season has arrived! And, with that, comes my favorite time of year: Fashion Week. If you’re a fashion junkie like me and didn’t know about this, don't worry, there’s 24/7 coverage on E! Network. With Fashion Week come our new guidelines for a perfect fall wardrobe and I’ve come up with fall staples that any college student can transform into a comfy outfit for class or the perfect ensemble to turn heads at Nickel this week. Lets begin:

Rule number one: The perfect sneaker.

And, no, I’m not talking about the sneakers you throw into your gym bag! Every girl needs a solid pair of kicks. I would recommend sticking to the classic white (I have three pairs, there’s no such thing as too many, IMO), but all black could definitely be cool too. All over campus I’m sure you’ve noticed the comeback of the classic Adidas Stan Smiths, but if you don’t feel like dropping 60-70 dollars on a pair of shoes, H&M has some great alternatives. You could pair these with a t-shirt and leggings for class or throw on some ripped jeans and a silk top for the perfect night out that’ll keep you on the dance floor all night without dying in heels.

Rule number two: Bodysuits.

When I first heard this was a thing, I admit I was skeptical. There didn’t seem to be an appeal to basically wearing a one-piece bathing suit under a pair of jeans. But, after my first purchase, I’m officially a convert. They’re just too cute to ignore. Bodysuits may be the most annoying piece of clothing you own, but style comes at a price, unfortunately. So here’s one for the die-hard fashion fans. You can find these everywhere now! They come in all different styles and colors, varying from sporty to dressy. Style it up or down and if you already have a favorite pair of high-waisted jeans, you’re set!

Rule number three: Denim anything.

I’ll admit, I’m not a huge denim fan, but it’s become a little unavoidable this past summer and, after plenty of thrift shopping, it’s definitely a trend I highly recommend. There’s a reason denim is a staple in every wardrobe: It’s easy and matches with everything! From your favorite denim skinnies to skirts, shirts and jackets you could probably find denim just about anywhere. My favorite denim skirt right now is hands down the classic A-Line Denim skirt that you could pair with just about any top. The rule of thumb with this trend is to just be cautious of how much is necessary in one outfit. There’s a thin line between trendy “denim on denim” and looking like you forgot to check the mirror on your way out!

Rule number four: CHOKERS.

The 80’s are back and better than ever everyone! This is a trend I’m beyond excited about and hopefully it’s here to stay for a while! Chokers add the perfect amount of sparkle or angst to your favorite outfit. For those edgy stylistas out there, this trend is for you! You can obviously opt for the stretchy plastic chokers we wore when we were twelve or you can upgrade to the delicate everyday necklaces that everyone’s fallen in love with. If you love jewelry and are looking for something you can wear everyday, this is it. This trend has so many variations, from velvet to silver and gold there’s something for everyone and you won’t be disappointed! Wear them with t-shirts to dress it up or make them the finishing touch on your perfect date night outfit.

Since fall is just beginning there will definitely be a sequel to this story later on, but for now I think this is enough to get everyone off to a trendy start this semester. Looking forward to seeing you all rock these trends on campus the next couple weeks!