Lazy Boy on Campus: No Meal Plan? No Problem.

"Lazy Boy On Campus" is a weekly column on how to embrace laziness while maintaining a jam packed schedule. Easy, right?

Students swiping into the McMahon dining hall in September of 2015 (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus).

Congratulations, you’ve done it. You’ve managed to survive week one of classes. You endured long walks to class and even longer waits for professors to find their way to your classroom. All that walking and waiting, however, has probably made you very hungry.

And then you remember that you, like me, don’t have a meal plan and are way too lazy to make your own lunch. How are you going to survive the day? Sure you could go to the Union, but it’s a zoo during lunch time. You’ll spend forever waiting in line, assuming you can find the end of it. And don’t even consider going to Storrs Center, you’ll never finish in time for your next class. Luckily, there is a savior and its name is the flex pass.

For those of you who are new to UConn, you might be confused about what a flex pass is. Well let me tell you, it is the key to salvation and surviving, with minimal effort, the madness that is lunch at UConn. Flex passes are one of the three currency forms that come with a meal plan and is one of the most under-utilized. Flex passes were, for many of us who once had meal plans, a useless thing that all of us paid for and really only used when our parents came to visit. Flex passes can be used to swipe other people into dining halls as well as for Grab and Go’s.

I bet you can see where I am going with this. All you need to do is call an underclassman friend (preferably a freshmen or a sophomore) and ask them to swipe you in.

Of course that dining hall line might be really long and, being lazy people, are we really going to wait in it? Of course not. Flex passes have another great use; Grab and Go purchases. Grab and Go’s allow for quick, made-to-order meals with the swipe of a UConn ID. Grab one of those with a friend and you are free to go about your day.

Of course you might be like me and be the epitome of laziness. That means even calling your friend might be too much work. I mean they should be able to figure out that I need food and show up on their own. For those whose friends can’t do that there is an easy solution; just chill out outside of a dining hall. Eventually (5-10 minutes tops) someone will come along and will probably be more than happy to swipe you into a dining hall. Easy as that.

Eating in college is very important, especially with the million and a half classes all of us are taking. If you’re too lazy to make your own meals, remember that your salvation is simply a flex pass away. 

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s contributor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu.