Huskies continue to dominate in WNBA

Minnesota Lynx' Maya Moore, left, and Lindsay Whalen are acknowledged by fans for their gold medal win in the Olympics, at the start of a WNBA basketball game against the Connecticut Sun, Friday, Aug. 26, 2016, in Uncasville, Conn. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)

As the WNBA nears the post-season, it is a universally recognized truth that the former Huskies are doing well this season. There were five former University of Connecticut players on Geno Auriemma’s Olympic team that brought home gold in August, and that in and of itself deserves an applause. In addition, the top three picks in the draft this season all went to former Huskies Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson and Morgan Tuck. Three Huskies in particular, though, have had truly remarkable seasons that have displayed their work ethic and passion for the game.

In college basketball one can’t really do much better than winning four national championships. Well, that’s exactly what Breanna Stewart did while at UConn, in addition to being named the Final Four most outstanding player after each championship. After college, Stewart was chosen as the No. 1 overall draft pick, and looking at her season thus far it’s easy to see why.

Stewart currently ranks second in rebounds in the league and third in blocks, while putting up an outstanding 18.2 points per game. Those numbers are staggeringly similar to Candace Parker’s numbers from 2008, the year she became Rookie of the Year and League MVP, something no one else has accomplished since then. Stewart’s future definitely looks bright considering her team, the Seattle Storm, also features former No. 1 picks Sue Bird from UConn and Jewell Loyd from Notre Dame.

One of the most heralded players to come out of Geno Auriemma’s program is Maya Moore. She was a scoring machine in college with a deadly three-point game and elite defense. She was known as a workhorse who was never satisfied. Today, Maya has pulled her game to the next level. Since joining the Minnesota Lynx as the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2011, she has propelled the team to three WNBA championships. This year, she is fourth in scoring with 19.2 points per game and fourth in steals. Her team has already secured a playoff spot and will most likely be battling for an WNBA championship yet again. There’s only one thing to say to Maya Moore’s current success: my oh Maya!

Finally, the most outstanding player this year has definitely been Tina Charles. She is the true leader of her team, the New York Liberty, and is definitely in the race to be League MVP. She has put up a phenomenal 21.1 points per game, which is second in the league to Elena Delle Donne. She is also No. 1 in rebounds with an average of 9.9 a game. The New York Liberty has already secured a playoff spot and it will be interesting to see how far they go. Charles has also made waves for her involvement in the Black Lives Matter movement in the WNBA. She has been very vocal and passionate about the issue and is an athlete who definitely uses her platform to its full advantage.

With the amount of Huskies in the WNBA, it’s impossible to write about all of them. But to name a few more who are having excellent seasons, Renee Montgomery should definitely be named sixth woman of the year for her contributions to the Minnesota Lynx and Kiah Stokes has had an incredible year for New York. Overall, the former Huskies should be proud of how they are representing their university in the WNBA. Their leadership and teamwork always shines through.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.