Roundtable: What was the biggest upset in college football's opening week?

In this Sept. 6, 2014, file photo, Wisconsin quarterback Bart Houston throws during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Western Illinois in Madison, Wis. (AP Photo/Morry Gash, File)

The 2016 college football season finally kicked off last weekend, bringing with it a host of memorable upsets that highlighted the sport’s excitement and unpredictability. With that in mind, the DC sports staff batted around the question: what was the best upset last weekend?

Matt Barresi Campus Correspondent

I would say Wisconsin over LSU. Wisconsin is certainly a very reputable program with a successful history. Although this wasn’t David beating Goliath, it was still a big surprise that they won. LSU has an incredible amount of talent this season, on both sides of the ball, led by Heisman favorite Leonard Fournette. They will have numerous first round draft picks this April. Despite being ranked fifth at the beginning of the season, they were a very trendy pick to be national champions. Meanwhile, Wisconsin, typically a prominent program, came into the game unranked. Cory Clement is no slouch, but they were without the big name NFL running backs like Montee Ball, James White and Melvin Gordon who have led them to past successes. It was Bart Houston’s first ever start at quarterback, against a perennial defensive power. But none of that mattered. They made LSU look terrible. LSU still nearly won, but no one came away impressed. The Wisconsin defense made the LSU offense look pathetic, especially in the first half. Considering preseason expectations for these two teams coming into the game, the fact Wisconsin won in the fashion they did caught many people off guard.

Bobby Farris Campus Correspondent

This college football opening-weekend was an exciting one with many upsets but I would have to say my favorite upset was the Texas A&M Aggies defeating No. 16 UCLA Bruins. The Aggies took a 24-9 lead going into the fourth quarter and the Bruins scored 15 points unanswered. Then in overtime, the Oklahoma transfer and starting quarterback for Texas A&M Trevor Knight ran in a one yard touchdown to finish off the upset. This offseason, the Aggies had a lot of questions about who would be under center because they lost two quarterbacks that transferred to other schools. After this weekend, the Aggies seemed to have figured out the solution to their problem as Knight had one passing and two rushing touchdowns with only one turnover. Now it seems that maybe Texas A&M has less questions to answer about their team than they thought and UCLA may have to take a step back and determine what is holding them back from looking like the No. 16 ranked team that they were.

Matthew Kren Staff Writer

It is easy to look in the top 25 for an upset, but some of those are inflated due to some high preseason rankings, i.e. LSU. The best upset of week one had to be South Alabama defeating SEC bigshot Mississippi State. Yes, the Bulldogs lost Dak Prescott but the South Alabama Jaguars were a four touchdown underdog and still won the game! They won on a 28 yard missed field goal by Bulldog kicker Westin (be right back burying myself in my own) Graves. College football is about the real underdogs; sorry usual Texas powerhouses, like Texas A&M and Wisconsin, beating the big boys, and that is exactly what happened.

This story was written by members of The Daily Campus sports staff.