Two car collision causes power outages

A telephone poll was snapped (top of photo) as a result of a two-car collision, causing power outages for some off-campus students. (Marlese Lessing/The Daily Campus)

A two-car collision on the intersection between North Eagleville Rd. and Hunting Lodge Rd. occurred at midnight Sunday morning, with one car hitting a utility pole and causing power outages for Hunting Lodge Apartments, Celeron Square Apartments, Forest Rd. and several other areas, according to the Connecticut State Police report. No passengers or drivers were injured.

Mukti Niha, of Naugatuck, CT, was traveling south on Hunting Lodge Rd. when she crossed over the double yellow lines, sideswiping a car traveling northbound, driven by Justin Hoyt of Danbury, CT, according to the report. Niha then swerved back into the southbound lane, crossed the shoulder and struck a utility pole. State troopers arrived at the scene at around 12:11 a.m. according to the report.

Several areas surrounding the place of the collision lost power shortly afterwards, according to eyewitnesses.

“I was walking to Wally’s and the power went out,” said Valerie Zimmer, a senior human development and family sciences major living in Hunting Lodge. “It looked pretty bad.”

The power outages lasted around two hours, according to witnesses.

“We were at a friend’s watching the McGregor fight,” Tim Faucett, a senior history and political science major living in Celeron Square, said. “When we were walking (past), half the telephone pole was missing.”

Power was returned at approximately 1:30 p.m., and the utility pole is under repair as of the time of writing.

Marlese Lessing is the news editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at marlese.lessing@uconn.edu. She tweets @marlese_lessing.