Men's Hockey: Huskies fall at Fenway

After defeating Maine 6-3 on Thursday, the UConn men’s hockey team could not capitalize on their opportunities on Saturday, falling to the Bears 4-0. (Ian Bethune/The UConn Blog )

After defeating Maine 6-3 on Thursday, the UConn men’s hockey team could not capitalize on their opportunities on Saturday, falling to the Bears 4-0.

“I thought that without the exception of the first ten minutes of the second period we played a decent game,” head coach Mike Cavanaugh said. “Maine played well and they capitalized on their opportunities and we didn’t.”

The game played at Fenway Park was a part of the Capitol One Frozen Fenway 2017. It was the second outdoor game in program history, the first was a 3-1 win against Sacred Heart in 2011 at Rentschler Field.

Goaltender Rob McGovern had a sensational game in the net for the Black Bears making 31 saves. Maine nabbed a goal early in the game as Cam Brown scored two minutes into the first period.

Throughout the first period the Huskies continued to look dangerous, but simply could not put the puck in the net.

Maine’s second goal of the day came eleven minutes into second period as Blaine Byron was assisted by Rob Michel and Cam Brown. UConn had a clear chance on net, but after failing to convert, Maine quickly countered. The Maine attacker ended up one on one with goaltender Adam Huska who rushed out of his net, making a poke save, but in the scrum the puck ended in front of Byron who tucked it away.

“It's such a funky play. We had two guys there who decided to play goalie instead of picking up the stick, I'm not faulting them it's just instinct. I think it was the right play,” said Cavanaugh. "We had a couple  of breakaway chances. A goal in the second period would have really energized our team."

Seven minutes into the third period Michel tallied a goal of his own. Brown and Brendan Robbins got the assists on the score. With two assists today Brown reaches an astounding 22 assists on the season.

With two minutes left to play in an attempt to mount a comeback Cavanaugh pulled goalkeeper Adam Huska. Cavanaugh's gamble did not pay off, despite increased possession for the Huskies, Maine was able to counter and Rob Michel sealed the game.

“I don’t think they did anything different. It’s a game of battles, I would say they probably won more, not by alot. We certainly did not win a lot and that was the difference,” Cavanaugh said.

Entering the game the Huskies were 7th in the conference. The loss to Maine is the Huskies fourth in the conference of the season, but will not move them back in the standings.

“A win or a loss here or there is huge if you look at the standings. We’re climbing, I don't think we are taking a step back and we are looking forward to Vermont next week,” said junior captain Derek Pratt.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.