ICYMI: Mariah Carey & New Year's Eve

In this Dec. 31, 2016, file photo, Mariah Carey performs at the New Year's Eve celebration in Times Square in New York. Mariah Carey blamed producers for her bungled performance on “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve,” saying, “They foiled me.” Carey said on her Twitter page Sunday, Jan. 8, 2017, that the show’s production team had technical issues and that her ear monitors didn’t work. (Photo by Greg Allen/Invision/AP, File)

It was Times Square, New York City, just twenty-something minutes before everyone could finally say goodbye to 2016. Mariah Carey took the stage on “Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve With Ryan Seacrest” for her final performance of the year. Little did everyone know, they were in for quite a show—or lack thereof.

The singer’s show suffered major technical issues once Carey began her hit song “Emotions” the malfunctions left the vocals nonexistent on the track, forcing her to pick up with the song and hit those notes herself. Unfortunately for Carey, she struggled with reaching those notes and even keeping time with the song and lyrics. This was the moment that everyone began to realize that something was off and, soon, tweets about the performance began pouring in all across social media.

As the performance dragged on, it became more and more apparent that Carey was at a loss and could not bounce back from the continuous errors made by ABC’s production team. Everyone in Times Square (and everyone watching in amusement from home) had to witness Carey meander aimlessly around the stage, unsure about the choreography and being jerked around by her backup dancers. Even while this was happening, Carey failed to continue singing and instead treated America to a show of her stumbling around the stage while music played in the background.

Just when everyone thought the show could not get any worse, Carey began her next song “We Belong Together,” but not before telling the crowd that what was playing was the album version and she is just going to sing along. Yikes. At this point, Carey’s lip-syncing is much more than obvious; however the singer powered through and finished the show with no more complications. The look she had on her face when the show ended, however, gave away her frustration.

Then, as if none of the train wreck had just occurred, the attention of the crowd was shifted to the Times Square Ball and everyone continued to chant for 2016’s end.

The disaster of a show was not over; Carey released a statement after the performance, accusing the production team at ABC of knowing about the technical issues but refusing to fix them just to get the show more ratings. Of course, ABC denied all allegations and it seemed to sink Carey even lower than she had gone before.

Regardless of who is right, no accusation could make up for the subpar show that Carey put on for New Year’s Eve. It seemed she had no interest in carrying the show—or she simply could not. The viewers won't be able to get those fifteen minutes back, but at least we can all leave that in last year. To quote several social media users, in the last few minutes, 2016 supposedly claimed its last victim: Mariah Carey’s career.

Ryan Amato is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at ryan.amato@uconn.edu.