Women's Basketball: Huskies look to stay golden visiting Tulsa

Connecticut guard Saniya Chong (12) and her teammates wave to fans after an NCAA college basketball game against SMU, Saturday, Jan. 14, 2017, in Dallas. Connecticut won 88-48, their 91st straight win. (Brandon Wade/AP Photo)

After a convincing win against SMU breaking the record for most consecutive victories with 91 in a row, the No. 1 ranked UConn Huskies (16-0, 4-0 the American) look to keep rolling Tuesday on the road against the struggling Tulsa Golden Hurricanes (5-12, 1-3 the American). The Huskies are outscoring teams by an average of 28.2 points per game this season while the Hurricanes are being outscored by an average of 4.9 per game.

Although Tulsa already has 12 losses on the season they have been a very competitive outfit as eight of those losses came by single digits, including five games by two or less baskets. Those eight losses were by a combined 45 points, as three of those included blowing double digit leads.

The Golden Hurricanes this season are led by junior guard Erika Wakefield who leads the team with 12.5 points per game, 1.8 steals per game, 3.4 assists per game, 47 made free throws on 79.7 percent shooting and a team-high in minutes played with 31.6 per contest. Wakefield had her team-leading and personal best performance at Houston earlier in the season as she poured in 25 points.

Tulsa is currently in the midst of a two game losing streak, as they dropped their last game on the 14th at home against the Temple Owls. In that game, freshman guard Shug Dickson came in off the bench and scored a career-high 21 points, giving the Golden Hurricanes a big increase from her season average of 6.9 points per game.

The Huskies come into this game undefeated this season and undefeated all-time against the Golden Hurricanes, as they won last year in Tulsa by a score of 94-30. The key to the game for both teams this time around will be three point shooting and defending behind the arc as the Huskies shoot a blistering 42 percent. The Golden Hurricanes rank 57th in the nation in three-point field goal defense (28.3), as they have to limit UConn from behind the arc.

Averaging 83.2 points per game, the Huskies are seemingly able to find production from every position player every game, as they have four players that average more than 11 points per game. Sophomore Katie Lou Samuelson leads the team with 20.6 points per game and 55 made threes on 45 percent shooting, while junior Gabby Williams leads the team with 4.9 assists per game, 8.4 rebounds per game and 2.9 steals per game.

The Huskies come into this game a perfect 8-0 on the road as they have 118 straight games on the road against unranked opponents. The game tips off at 8pm and will be broadcasted on SNY with coverage available on ESPN 3.

Matt Kren is a staff writer for The Daily Campus, covering women’s basketball. He can be reached via email at matthew.kren@uconn.edu.