Silent Prejudices Exposed: Implicit Bias opens in the library

The Implicit Bias Exhibit, which officially opens on January 23, is in the ground level of the library. The exhibition challenges students to look beyond appearances and preconceived judgments in order to become more open minded. (Olivia Stenger/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut unveiled a new exhibition of conscience Tuesday at Homer Babbidge Library.

In a small area at the north entrance, lightly colored banners stand with a black computer tucked off to the side.

At first glance, it appears to be nothing of interest as UConn students passed by. But if you take a look at the exhibit, there’s a chance to see your own prejudices come to light.

The exhibit, titled “The Implicit Bias Exhibit,” was created by the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, a history museum based in Cincinnati that promotes human rights and freedom.

One key feature in this exhibit is the opportunity to take the Implicit Association Test (IAT), developed by Harvard University to measure attributes or beliefs that most people are unable or unwilling to say.

And while researchers promote this test as being beneficial to research, not everyone has the same opinion.

“I think it’s important to recognize our own implicit biases,” said Matt Campbell, a seventh-semester history major. “But generalization is not the way to go because it then turns into two extremes.”

The exhibit formally opens on Monday, Jan. 23rd from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. There will be a reception at the Homer Babbidge Library staff lounge. For more information, go to thedoddcenter.uconn.edu/ImplicitBias

Arlene Blum is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at arlene.blum@uconn.edu