Serving up sweets during martini night

Huskies Bar on the Storrs campus started Martini Wednesdays on Jan. 18, 2017. Six different flavors were introduced, including Blue Dream, Green Apple, Cosmo, Pineapple-Upside Down Cake, Pink Lemonade and Pistachio. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus)

Huskies Bar began a new tradition on Wednesday nights and served up sweet mixed martinis.

The martinis, which sold for $3 each, were offered in six different flavors: Blue Dream, Green Apple, Cosmo, Pineapple-Upside Down Cake, Pink Lemonade and Pistachio.

Along with the martinis, other options, like $3 premium drafts, $2 Coors Light Drafts and 25 cent wings were sold. Martini night lasted from 9-12, with no cover charge. Live music was provided by the Kenny Mehler Band.

The drinks were served in classy martini glasses, until the bartenders ran out and switched to regular plastic glasses. The glasses were a hit however, and the bar would be wise to stock up on them. I’m presuming the upscale glasses graced many Instagram feeds.

Kevin Lavalle, general manager at Huskies, said they were bringing the martinis back from the old Huskies, where they went over well.

“The martini night is an alternative to karaoke. It’s new and crisp,” Lavalle said. “There’s a want to come out on a Wednesday.”

The Cosmo martini was popular among the ladies, while the Green Apple and Blue Dream were also selected often. One group said they chose the Blue Dream because it reminded them of the Beaver, and because it was “Husky Blue.” Several groups said they would come back for another Wednesday night round of martinis, especially if there was not a cover.

Of the six, the Pink Lemonade and Green Apple were my favorites. The Green Apple tasted like Jolly Ranchers, while the Pink Lemonade was a simple and refreshing option, without the overwhelming taste of cheap liquor. The Cosmo was a close third, but a bit non-descript.

The Blue Dream was a bit too lemony and had an odd aftertaste. The Pineapple-Upside Down Cake was overwhelmingly sweet, and tasted like an incomplete mixture of pineapple and coconut. The worst was the Pistachio. It was an oddly thick mixture with a bland flavor.

Wednesday night’s performers brought a laid-back folk feel to the packed campus bar, but the tunes were lively to match the feel of the bar-goers.

With a line out the door, the martini night will surely be a hit on campus, especially during the first few weeks. During syllabus week, it seemed like students had nothing better to do than to go out and throw back a few martinis.

Claire Galvin is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.