UConn A Cappella Spring Rush Concert

The annual A Cappella Spring Rush Concert was held in the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts on Thursday. Hosted by the UConn A Cappella Association (UCACA), which is an organization, compromised of nine a cappella groups on campus, the event showcases the diverse groups and encourages students to audition for the spring semester. All nine groups: A Minor, Chordials, Rubyfruit, Conn Men, CDN, Drop the Bass, Extreme Measures, Rolling Tones, and Notes Over Storrs, performed two songs. Proceeds from the event are being donated to HuskyThon.

The first group to perform was A Minor, UConn’s oldest co-ed group, who performed a Tove Lo mash-up of “Habits (Stay High)” and “Talking Body” and “These are the Lies” by The Cab. The group recently released their first album in four years this past December, titled “Ignite.” They will be performing at the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella (ICCA) in February.

The second group was Drop The Bass, an all-female group currently working on their first album. They performed “Yellow” by Coldplay and “Weekend” by Verite.

The third group to perform was Rolling Tones, a co-ed group who recently released their second album “Go On,” sang “Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros and a mash-up of Sugar, We’re Going Down” by Fall Out Boy and “This Is Gospel” by Panic! At the Disco.

Next up was the all-female group Rubyfruit who recently released their album “Locally Grown.” They sang “Show Me Love” by Hundred Water and “Save All My Sinning” by Lake Street Drive.

Following Rubyfruit was the all-male group CDN, which stands for Completely Different Note, who sang “This Love” by Maroon 5 and “Only the Good Die Young” by Billy Joel.

Next up was Notes Over Storrs, a co-ed group with the album “Home.” They performed “Remedy” by Zac Brown Band and “Stacy’s Mom” by Fountains of Wayne.

Following Notes over Storrs was ConnMen, an all-male group who have recently released their third album “Broskiffany.” They performed “No Diggity” by Blackstreet and “Thank You” by Boyz II Men.

Second to last performed Chordials, an all-female group who sang “Boondocks” by Little Big Town and “Send Me On My Way” by Rusted Root.

Last but not least Extreme Measures performed “All Time Low” by Jon Bellion and “Hands are Clever” by Alex Clare.

All nine groups were composed of extremely skilled singers, and it was clear that they are all passionate about a cappella. Their high energy and enthusiasm transferred over to the audience, who was equally into the music. “They sounded amazing and were very engaging with the crowd,” said freshman Silvanna Moran.

For students interested in auditioning, auditions are being held Sunday and Monday, Jan. 29-30. More information will be available at the Music Building Atrium on Sunday, Jan. 29 at 5 p.m.

Melissa Scrivani is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu