UConn in the NBA: Andre Drummond Does It All

Detroit Pistons guard Reggie Jackson, of Italy, gets a hug from center Andre Drummond, center, after scoring as Los Angeles Lakers forward Brandon Ingram stands in the background during the second half of an NBA basketball game, Sunday, Jan. 15, 2017, in Los Angeles. The Pistons won 102-97. (Mark J. Terrill/AP)

A number of UConn players have had solid performances in the NBA this past month, including star Detroit Pistons center Andre Drummond.

Over the past 10 games, Drummond has had six double-doubles, including an impressive stat line against the Trail Blazers on Jan. 8 when he scored 28 points and snagged 14 rebounds over the course of a thrilling 125-124 win.

However, that was not the only notable game that Drummond had over the past 10 games. On Jan. 15 against the Lakers, Drummond sunk an improbable buzzer-beater at the halftime buzzer from way downtown – 62 feet to be exact. He finished the night with 15 points and 17 rebounds in the 102-97 win.

Drummond’s most impressive defensive game came against the Kings where he managed seven blocks, including a rejection of former Husky Rudy Gay. Despite his seven blocks, the Pistons fell to the Kings 100-94.

Despite the Hornets losing six of their last seven games, Kemba Walker has continued to be All-Star caliber. He has averaged 24.3 points to go with 5.1 assists and 5.1 rebounds per game.

During the team’s only victory of the month, Walker scored 20 points and dished nine assists, aiding the team in their 123-112 win against the Thunder.

According to the Charlotte Hornets Twitter account, Walker totaled 919 points halfway through the season, which is the second-highest total for the Hornets since Glen Rice scored 921 halfway during the 1996-97 season.

Although Gay received an invitation to Drummond’s block party, he has had a stellar month of production since returning to the lineup after dealing with a lingering hip injury.

His most effective game came against the Cavaliers in the 120-108 loss, when he scored 23 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks, while connecting on all three of his shots from beyond the arc.

Gay’s name has come up in trade rumors quite frequently the entire season and many people expect the Thunder to try and trade for him after they expressed their desire for a bigger wing. Gay would undoubtedly help Russell Westbrook on the offensive side of the ball each night.

Jeremy Lamb has sat out the past two games with a toe injury, but has had a few solid games during the month of January.

Against the Spurs, Lamb looked good, scoring 13 points and distributing eight assists. However, the Hornets fell 102-85.

In order for Lamb to be as successful as possible, he must be more consistent. That is how he will obtain more minutes per game and become a player that his coach and teammates can count on each night.

Michael Logan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.