Guide to summer music festivals

Boston Calling is one of the premier summer festivals in the area featuring 45 bands across their three music stages along with admission to the festivals “film experience” programing. (Dave Levy/Flickr Creative Commons)

The summer may feel far away, but music festival passes are already beginning to sell out. There are so many different festivals across the United States that sometimes it can be hard to keep track of where and when the festivals will take place. Although some of the most popular festivals take place on the West Coast, there are some great music festivals within driving distance of UConn happening this summer.  

Boston Calling takes place in nearby Massachusetts during Memorial Day weekend. Boston Calling will be featuring 45 bands across their three music stages along with admission to the festivals “film experience” programing. The weekend general admission ticket is relatively inexpensive, costing $269 for the entire weekend. For those who have a little more cash to burn, there are VIP and Platinum passes available that go for $529 and $999, respectively. This summer festival has a great 2017 lineup, featuring well known artists like Mumford & Sons, Chance the Rapper, Bon Iver and Major Lazer. The remaining artists may not be as well known, but Alternative music fans will be happy to see bands like Modern Baseball and The Hotelier taking the stage.

Over in New York City, two equally amazing festivals will take place on Randall’s Island Park. First, there is The Governors Ball, which happens on June 2-4. The Governors Ball lineup consists of groups from all genres, with prominent rap, pop and alternative groups sharing the festivals four stages. The festival is headlined by Chance the Rapper, Childish Gambino, Phoenix, Wiz Khalifa and Lorde. Bands that have reached moderate success over the past couple of years like Judah and the Lion, Saint Motel and Bleachers will also be playing at the Governors Ball, and are likely to produce some great performances. General Admission tickets for the festival are $305 each.

Several weeks after the Governors Ball, Randall’s Island Park will host the Panorama music festival on June 28-30. What makes Panorama unique is its mix of music and technology, featuring a museum quality digital art theater called THE LAB smack in the middle of the festival. If digital art is not something that strikes your interest, Panorama will be hosting some phenomenal headliners across their three day run like Frank Ocean, Solange, Tame Impala, ALT-J, Nine Inch Nails and a Tribe Called Quest.  Panorama gives festival goers the option to buy one day GA passes for $125 each or a three day GA pass for $345, after fees.

Out west in California, the famous Coachella Music and Arts Festival will take place over two weekends in April. Despite passes having only been on sale for a few weeks, the festival is already sold out. This comes as no surprise when you have groups like Radiohead, Beyoncé and Kendrick Lamar headlining the festival.  

One festival to look out for this summer is Firefly, which takes place June 15-18 in Dover, Delaware. Firefly has yet to post their lineup for their upcoming festival, but it is not a festival that you want to miss this summer. Firefly gives festival goers the opportunity to camp out near the festival grounds, making it a unique and awesome experience that lasts from sun up to long after sun down. Although the lineup isn’t posted, GA passes are already on sale for $289, which is a great price considering past line ups consisted of over 100 bands during the festivals four day run.

Although festival tickets can get pricey, it can be worth it to see all of your favorite artists in just one exciting weekend. Whether you’re an art lover, music enthusiast or are just looking for something to do this summer, music festivals are a great way to spend hard earned cash on a high-quality experience.

Lauren Brown is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lauren.brown@uconn.edu