Men’s Hockey: Huskies head up north to take on No. 12 Vermont

UConn forward Tage Thompson fires a shot as the Huskies tie nationally ranked UMass Lowell Saturday, Dec. 2, 2016 at the XL center with a overall score of 2-2. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus)

Following a 4-0 loss at Fenway Park to the Maine Black Bears, UConn will travel to Burlington, Vermont to play the No. 12 Vermont Catamounts. The game will be broadcasted on NESNplus and the American Sports Network.

The Huskies have lost four straight games to Vermont, including a sweep in the opening round of last year’s Hockey East playoffs. Sophomore Karl El-Mir scored twice in the last meeting, in a 4-3 loss at the XL Center. Since joining the Hockey East, UConn is 1-5-0 against the Catamounts.

Vermont currently sits in fourth-place in the Hockey East with 15 points. The Huskies sit in seventh-place with 12 points.

UConn is coming off a series split with No. 10 Maine. The first meeting was at Webster Bank Arena; UConn won 6-3, but were blanked 4-0 in the second meeting. Freshman Adam Huska. It was his 13th start of the season, and his 40-save effort was the second time of the season he has put up 40 saves or more. The other time was a 47-save performance, a career high, in a 4-2 win against Notre Dame.

Huska ranks fourth in Hockey East with a .922 save percentage. In his nine Hockey East games this season, the Slovakian-native is 5-2-2 with a 2.19 goals against and a .934 save percentage.

UConn will look to Tage Thompson for point production. The Huskies are 7-0-1 when the St. Louis Blues’ draft pick scored two goals or more.

Max Kalter is third on the team in points with 16 points (3 goals/13 assists), with eight points (2 goals/6 assists) in the last seven games.

Junior Spencer Naas’ scoring-streak came to an end at Fenway after scoring in four-straight games. Over five games Naas had five goals and one assist. He has seven goals in the last nine games and is second on the team with 12 goals. ‘

The Catamounts are coming off a split with the Providence Friars. Vermont won the opener 4-3, but lost 4-1 in the second game, ending a five-game winning streak. 10 Catamounts are in double-digits in points. Freshman Ross Colton leads the team with 18 points, scoring nine goals and notching nine assists. Fellow freshman Derek Lodermeier leads the team with 11 assists on the season. The Catamounts are in the top-half of the league in scoring averaging 3.33 goals per game.

Connor Donahue is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets @conn_donahue.