Security versus Stress of Spring Check In

A student swipes into Buckley Residence Hall. This is the first semester that students are required to self check-in following winter break. (Jason Jiang/ The Daily Campus)

On Wednesday, students who had yet to check in online using their My Housing accounts were subject to lose card access to their buildings. Students were notified of this new step during the move in process over break through their emails. While this was established to ensure security, the task and possible consequences of not doing it seem to add unnecessary stress to an already busy period of adjustment for students.

During break, students received a handful emails dating back to Jan. 6 from the Department of Residential Life that notifying them of this new process. Other than those emails, a few papers scatter dorm halls vaguely calling out for students to check in. However, for many students break is a pause from university life which means not checking student email addresses or considering the move in process, and the occasional sign concerning check in easily gets lost among the many other posters that scatter dorm halls about events, activities, and rules. For some, this process could have gone completely unknown until they were trying to get into their building Wednesday.

Considering past problems with card access granting students access to previous dorm buildings, it is great to see this focus on the security of buildings requiring card access. Yet, requiring students to notify the university that they wish to use a room for which they are being charged seems unnecessary. The university should be aware of where students are living from previous processes each student is required to complete in order to establish their on campus living situations. The university claims that this check in aims to see which continuing students are here, but as long as a student is being charged for their room, it makes sense that they should have access to it. Requiring this additional step seems to add redundancy in information already available to the university while the risk of a student living on campus not checking in might cause extreme worry and stress during an already stressful week.

It is great that the university continuously tries to address and increase security for students living on campus; however, when the risk is the stress of losing card access to your dorm building, the university must consider whether requiring students to provide redundant information is worth it.