UConn students will be traveling to Washington D.C. to attend the Women's March

Micaela Johnson, of Leewood, Kan., in town to take part in Saturday's Women's March on Washington, takes a selfie with the Capitol Building in the background as preparations continue for Friday's presidential inauguration, Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2017, in Washington. (John Minchillo/ AP)

Following the inauguration of President-Elect Donald J. Trump, millions of people across the nation will participate in the Women’s March on Jan. 21.

The Women’s March was created in honor of the many women who previously fought for equal rights and include a collaboration of organizers from MomsRising, Council on American Islamic Relations, Planned Parenthood Federation of America and the Black Women’s Roundtable, to name a few, according to Women’s March on Washington website.

The main march will be in Washington, D.C. and is expected to have an estimated 200,000 people attend. There are 616 “Sister Marches” worldwide that will include people from Hartford, Connecticut to Cheyenne, Wyoming to Accra, Ghana and Erbil, Iraq, according to Women’s March on Washington.

UConn students, staff and faculty are heading to the march in Washington D.C. late Friday evening on a coach bus provided through Skedaddle by the march organizers. The bus will leave from the front of the Student Union at 1:10 a.m.

“I am going because I am scared for the futures of my friends who are women, my friends in the LGBTQQIA community, my friends in Latin American and Hispanic communities, and my friends in African American communities,” 10th-semester economics, human rights and mathematics major Andrew Pett said. “I accept that Donald Trump will be the new president of the United States, but I want him, his cabinet and his supporters to know that he will not implement policies that may harm or discriminate against those close to us without tremendous resistance.”

Not all students who are marching are heading to Washington D.C., some are attending events held at the “Sister Marches”.

“I haven't decided which city's march I will be going to but probably New York or Boston—D.C. is just too much money and a logistical nightmare at this point,” eighth-semester Political science and history major Jameson Foulke said. “I want to go to stand with the thousands, if not millions, of people who feel that their country and their President-elect is not listening to their valid complaints and fears.”

“I'm marching in Hartford because I want the new administration to recognize that women's rights are human rights and that we won't stand for our rights or anyone else's to be violated,” eighth-semester Psychology and Human Rights major Amelia Subveri said. “I want them to know that if they don't respect individual rights there is a significant amount of people waiting to hold him accountable and that we won't be silenced.”

The Women’s March is set to draw more people than the actual inauguration, according to the New York Daily News.

“I'm hoping that the widespread marches will draw news attention away from the inauguration on Friday, or from Twitter beefs and show the world how widespread dissent is of the incoming regime,” Foulke said. “I want the incoming president to understand that the public is watching what he does and we will resist his actions if they hurt women, immigrants and all other marginalized groups.”

The march does not seem to be just about the inauguration of President-Elect Trump.

“It seems like the Democratic Party has lost sight of the methods needed to achieve their goals,” sixth-semester political science and human rights major Rebecca Kaufman said. “They claim to speak for women, minorities and youth, but their outreach at a local and state level are insufficient and it makes politics seem like this lofty elite institution, when in reality politics is everything we are and everything that's around us. I believe that change is impossible without grassroots activism and now more than ever I feel that I need to be acting on my values. It's not enough for me to just say that I believe in justice and equality, most people say that. Now, more than ever, we need to show it.”

Elizabeth Charash is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at elizabeth.charash@uconn.edu.