UConn students will mark inauguration in many ways

Riot police form a line against protesters on 14th Street ahead of the presidential inauguration, Thursday, Jan. 19, 2017, in Washington. (John Minchillo/ AP)

University of Connecticut students will mark Donald Trump’s inauguration today at noon in a variety of ways.

“I’m going to see if I can find someplace online to watch it and watch it in my dorm, or watch it on the TV in my dorm’s lounge,” sixth-semester chemical engineering major Caressa Wakeman said.

The demands of being in college will preclude another student from viewing the inauguration live.

“I’ll probably watch snippets after the fact,” sixth-semester psychology major Kelly Machado said. “I won’t watch it live because I have lots going on.”

Machado said that she might stop by The People’s Inauguration, a performance art event in response to the election and inauguration, at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center after attending classes for the day.

“(The inauguration) is an event I’m not looking forward to. Watching Obama…put his hand on the bible was respectable. I’m having a hard time imagining Trump doing that,” Machado said. “But boycotting (of the inauguration by some congressional Democrats) at this point is not too late, but maybe disrespectful. At this point we need to respect the fact that this is happening.”

Another student said that she hopes to watch the inauguration with a group in her dorm’s lounge.

“If it was a group thing, I would watch in the lounge,” fourth-semester animal science major Jodie Allen said. “I always watched inaugurations with my family, as a group thing.”

One student said that she does not wish to see the inauguration.

“I’m not planning on watching it,” sixth-semester anthropology major Patricia Sundman said. “I know Donald Trump is going to be president but I don’t want to celebrate it. I don’t want to give him the views.”

Discontentment with the 2016 presidential election campaign season exists amongst some students.

“I felt really disconnected for this (election),” Machado said. “There were lots of disappointments. I wasn’t happy with the choices (for president) going in.”

Allen said that she attempted to avoid the presidential election campaign season in 2016.

“So many people have their opinions that you don’t want to offend anybody,” Allen said.

Several of the students expressed aspirations for Trump’s presidency.

“I’d like a way to get lower tuition,” Allen said.

“I’m optimistic and hopeful there could be change,” Machado added.

Alexandra Retter is staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexandra.retter@uconn.edu.