Women’s Ice Hockey: Huskies looks for revenge against Northeasten

UConn forward Justine Fredette (14) manuevers past a Boston University defender during the Huskies 2-1 victory over the Terriers on Jan. 10, 2016. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

Earlier this month, the Northeastern Huskies visited Storrs and left with a victory 4-2. Now, the UConn women’s ice hockey team is looking for redemption against the conference rival in doubleheader this weekend.

The teams will meet at Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs Friday at 7 p.m. before traveling. Then they will travel to Boston and play at Matthews Arena on Jan. 21 at 3:00 p.m.

Northeastern is second in the Hockey East with a record of 9-7-2 in conference and has a win percentage of .556 percent. They hope to bounce back from their loss against Maine 3-6.

UConn, with a record 6-7-1 in conference, lost in a doubleheader against Providence.

During that game, the Huskies outshot Providence 11-6 and allowed two late goals in the first period.

UConn had seven power play opportunities, but they were killed effectively by Providence.

More than halfway through the season, the team has some impressive wins as well as unexpected losses.

The young UConn team has grown since October and were voted the November women’s hockey team of the month by HERO Sports, a collegiate sports website.

Against Northeastern, the Huskies will rely on freshman Breana Colangelo, junior Theresa Knutson and junior Leah Lum to lead the offense.

Lum is the top scorer for UConn with 11 goals, eight assists and 19 points this season.

If UConn wants to add to their game, they will need to start to take advantage of the power-play opportunities to score goals.

On Jan. 2, when the two teams met, four different Northeastern players scored and freshman Paige Savage was named the player of the game.

What we have seen so far from this UConn team is resilience. They have been outscored in the first period 18-12. Their usual trend is to come back after the other team has scored.

Out of the 52 goals UConn has scored this season, 25 came in the third period.

If this trends continues, UConn should look to keep their defense tight in the first period and score their goals late in the second and third period.

Freshmen Denisa Krizova (14 goals, 16 assists and 30 points) and McKenna Brand (19 goals, 10 assists and 30 points) will be the players to watch for Northeastern.

Daniela Marulanda is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at daniela.marulanda@uconn.edu