Men's Hockey: Huskies fall short to Vermont

The Huskies take on BU at the XL Center Friday night, November 18, 2016. The Huskies were defeated 2-1with one goal from Spencer Naas. (Tyler Benton/The Daily Campus)

Despite showing resilience UConn (9-9-6) loses a nine goal thriller to No. 12 Vermont (16-7-2).

The Huskies fell down 2-0 early. The Catamounts took the lead at 7:49 in the first period with a goal from Mario Puskarich. Shortly before the end of the period Vermont doubled their lead. This time Puskarich assisted teammate Matt Alvaro.

The game picked up in the second period and the Huskies showed some fight. Two minutes into the second period Vermont extended their lead with one more goal. Jarrid Privitera nabbed his seventh goal of the season on the play.

The Huskies rallied back with two goals of their own, cutting Vermont’s lead to only one goal. Miles Gendron and Karl El-Mir scored for the Huskies. However before the second period was over Vermont was able to score one more, bringing their lead back to two.

At the beginning of the third period the Huskies once again rallied back with a Tage Thompson goal. The goal was Thompson’s 16th of the season, the Connecticut native leads the team in scoring this season.

Once again the Catamounts were quick to respond, scoring their fifth of the game. Alvaro tallied his second goal of the night. In an attempt to make one last comeback Head Coach Mike Cavanaugh pulled his goalkeeper with under two minutes left to play. The risk paid off as Maxim Letunov pulled one back for the Huskies. Despite their best efforts UConn could not complete the comeback falling 5-4.

With the win Vermont continued their historic dominance over the Huskies, bringing the all-time series record to 22-2-1 and extending their winning streak against UConn to five games. The Huskies will have another chance to end the streak next week when they welcome Vermont to the XL Center.

Before returning home the Huskies will travel to Boston to take on No.10 Boston College on Tuesday.

Antonio Salazar is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at antonio.salazar@uconn.edu.