Swimming and Diving: UConn defeats Southern Connecticut and Seton Hall

File photo from a UConn Swimming and Diving meet (Jason Jiang/The Daily Campus)

It was senior weekend for the UConn men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams as they had two dual meets at the Wolff-Zackin Natatorium. The first of the meets took place Friday against Southern Connecticut State University, where UConn pulled off a win by a score of 334-230. The second took place on Sunday against Seton Hall where UConn completed another victory 410-188.

The teams defeated Southern Connecticut State University on Friday at the Wolff-Zackin Natatorium with a combined team score of 334 to SCSU’s 230. The dual meet consisted of 32 events, 28 for swimming and four for diving.

The women won by a score of 159-119, a performance which included 10 first place finishes out of a possible 16. Notable performances include a pool record for the 800-yard freestyle relay, swam by Emma Smith, Margot Manning, Holly Parker and Jackie Van Lew. At 7:40.65, the relay was nearly four seconds ahead of the previous record. Other strong performances from the women’s swim team featured Christine Pedersen, who finished first in two different events; the 100-yard backstroke and the 200-yard medley relay. Sona Pinela also completed two first place finishes in both the 1000-yard freestyle and the 200-yard butterfly.

The women’s dive team saw a strong performance in the one-meter dive with Monica Marcello, Alli Butera, Michelle Kalupski and Amanda Craig finishing in the top four spots, respectively. The same four finished with the top scores in the three-meter dive, though all four dives were in exhibition.

The men’s team won by a score of 175-111, also earning 10 first place finishes out of a possible 16. Among the strong performances was Matthew Dagenais, who earned three first place finishes in the 100 and 200-yard backstroke as well as the 200-yard medley relay.

Men’s diver Spencer Beaulieu qualified for the NCAA Diving Zones with his score of 326.40 in the three-meter dive. His score was followed by Dan Kinney and Kyle Kennedy, who also finished in the top spots for the one-meter dive.

Sunday’s meet against Seton Hall saw another win as UConn defeated Seton Hall with a combined score of 410-188.

The score for the women was 229-69 and featured standout swims by Smith in the 1000 and 500 free, earning her two first place finishes. Parker also had an impressive meet with two first place finishes in the 200 free and the 200 individual medley. Brazil Rule earned first in the 100 free, and Sophie Nothnagle had an impressive showing in the 100 and 200 fly.

For the divers, the quartet of Butera, Marcello, Craig and Kalupski again claimed the top four spots in both the one-meter and three-meter dives. In the end, the women’s team finished first in all 16 events.

UConn’s men defeated Seton Hall by a score of 181-119. The win was thanks in part to the performances of Karl Bishop in the 1,000 and 500 free, as well as Deganis’ performance in the 100 and 200 backstroke, and the 200 individual medley.

Kinney, Beaulieu and Kennedy finished in the top three spots for UConn in both the one-meter and three-meter dives. In all, the UConn men took 12 first place finishes out of the 16 events.

Both teams are back at it Saturday for a meet at Dartmouth.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.