Women’s Hockey: Huskies swept by Northeastern in weekend series

A player from the UConn Huskies Women's Hockey team celebrates after scoring a goal. The UConn Huskies lost 3-2 to the Northeastern Huskies in the Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs, CT on Friday, Jan 20, 2017. (Owen Bonaventura/The Daily Campus)

The University of Connecticut women's ice hockey team faced Northeasten University in UConn's Skating Strides game on Friday night in the Huskies' home stadium in Storrs. UConn fell to their Hockey East rival, 3-2, before losing the next night on the road in a series sweep.

“It was extra special with the pink jerseys. The Skating Strides Initiative is fundraising for the Friends of Mel Foundation, which is centered around breast cancer. It’s a great event, a good turnout in the crowd. Good energy,” UConn head coach Chris MacKenzie said.

Prior to the game, UConn captain Jessica Stott presented a check to the president of Hockey East as a donation to the cause.

Both teams combined for three goals in the first ten minutes of the game. Northeastern’s Paige Savage scored a power play goal at 3:47, while Leah Lum, UConn’s leading scorer, bounced back with a goal in the seventh minute. Less than a minute later, however, Northeastern took the lead again on a goal from Denisa Krizova.

“You never really know what you’re going to get, we’re trying to establish our play, trying to get everyone in the game. It’s fun to watch,” MacKenzie said.

Halfway into the second period, Lum tied it up with another goal, her 13th of the season. The lead wouldn’t last long, however, as McKenna Brand scored 15 minutes into the period to make the score 3-2. This score would go final as the Huskies fell to Northeastern in the first game of their weekend series.

“She was great. She stood out. Almost had a goal at the end there for a hat trick. She’s becoming an elite player in our league. She’s really working hard for that. She puts a lot of extra work in and it’s paying off for her,” MacKenzie said of Lum’s performance.

The venue moved to Matthews Arena on Saturday for the final game of the series. Northeastern would score first off of an impressive rebound from Shelby Herrington. With less than seven seconds left in the period, UConn’s Briana Colangelo would score on a power play to tie the game. This was her seventh goal of the season.

In the second period, UConn took its first lead of the series on a goal off the stick of Lum. This was her third goal of the series and 14th of the season. But Northeastern came back with a minute left in the period outshooting UConn 22-16 in the second.

The third period began with a goal from Northeastern just two minutes in. UConn wasn’t done yet, as Reese Maccario would knock in a rebound twelve minutes into the period to tie the game at 3-3. However, with two minutes left in the game, Northeastern scored two goals within 26 seconds, taking the win over UConn by a score of 5-3.

UConn will face off against Vermont next Friday and Saturday for two home games at Freitas Ice Forum.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu.