Women's Hockey: Lum shines in physical games against Northeastern

UConn Women's Hockey defender Cidnee Cook (4) gets the puck in the game against Northeastern University. The UConn Huskies lost 3-2 in the Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs, CT on Friday, Jan 20, 2017. (Owen Bonaventura/The Daily Campus)

This past weekend the UConn women’s hockey team played Northeastern in a home series, and although UConn was swept by Northeastern, junior Leah Lum’s performance stood out in both games.

In Friday night’s game, Lum scored two goals, one in the first period and one in the second. In the third period, Lum had a near hat trick but fell short as time ran out on the clock. She was named one of the three stars of the game on Friday.

On Saturday, Lum had one goal in the second period.

“She was great. She stood out. She did a great job…she’s becoming an elite player in our league. She’s really working hard for that. When you see the type of work she puts in-the extra work she puts in we understand, it’s going to pay off for her,” head coach Chris MacKenzie said of Lum.

Both games were also pretty physical and competitive, as both teams were looking for points to move them up the ranks in Hockey East. Currently, UConn is No. 7 in Hockey East standings. The league’s top eight teams move on to the post-season.

"It's going to get a little like that at times but, you know, I thought it’s a key for us,” MacKenzie said. “We got to compete for every inch out there. If we can do that, I think it will pay off eventually.”

UConn also took part in Hockey Easts’ Skating Strides initiative which raises money for the Friends of Mel Foundation. On Friday, the team wore pink jerseys for the cause and sold pink Hockey East merchandise. Before the game, the team presented Friends of Mel with a check donation that they raised for the foundation.

“It’s a great event, great turn out in the crowd today and there was energy there so there was a lot of positives to take. We’re not happy with the result but it was an exciting game right there at the end,” Mackenzie said.”

The next game for the Huskies will be on Jan. 27 against Vermont.

Mariana Dominguez is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.