Quick Hit: Men's and women’s BBall pull off Sunday sweep; Walker puts on a show

In what was a great weekend for UConn sports, some stories stood out more than others ranging from the men’s and women’s basketball teams pulling out victories at home to a former Husky superstar proving why he should be in this year’s NBA All-Star Game.

Women’s basketball extends win streak to 93 in yet another dominant win

The UConn Huskies women’s basketball team played the Tulane Green Wave early Sunday afternoon at Gampel Pavilion and they showed yet again why they are the best in the nation. Leading start-to-finish for the ninth consecutive game, the Huskies (18-0, 6-0 the American) dominated Tulane with the score of 100-56 on the back of 32 points from sophomore Katie Lou Samuelson, who had 30-plus points for the second consecutive game.

Junior Kia Nurse and sophomore Napheesa Collier were also key contributors for UConn, as they scored 18 and 17 points, respectively. The win makes the Huskies 60-0 in American Athletic Conference regular season play (9-0 in tournament play) and puts their record win streak at 93 games. Look for UConn to continue this unbelievable dominance at East Carolina Tuesday night for No. 94.

Men’s basketball bounces back from consecutive losses despite injuries

An extremely short-handed UConn men’s basketball team joined the women’s team in celebrations Sunday night as they overcame a terrible lack of depth to defeat East Carolina 72-65 at the XL Center.

Coming back home after disappointing consecutive road losses to Georgetown and SMU, the Huskies started off hot against the Pirates even though five scholarship players sat out with various ailments. The six players that did get a majority of minutes all put in good work for long stretches of time, with five playing 30-plus minutes and the sixth, freshman Christian Vital, playing 23 minutes.

UConn stormed ahead to a 34-14 lead on the back of a 21-0 run with six minutes remaining in the first half. ECU would storm back, cutting the deficit to 34-27, but would never come closer than seven points down as the Huskies earned a much-needed win, bringing them to 9-11 (3-4 the American) for the year.  

Point guard Jalen Adams had a game-high 19 points on 8-11 shooting to go along with five rebounds and five assists. Kentan Facey earned himself his third double-double in four games scoring 13 points and bringing down ten rebounds. Next up, the Huskies will take on USF on the road Wednesday night.

Former Husky superstar Kemba Walker shows why he should be an All-Star

One of the greatest players in UConn basketball history, Kemba Walker has been playing at an unbelievably high level in the NBA this year for the Charlotte Hornets. Walker has steadily improved with each year since joining the Association in 2011 and has stepped up to be the Hornets’ best player this season.

Most recently, Walker put up a fantastic performance against the Toronto Raptors. The former Husky scored 32 points and tallied eight assists to lead the Hornets to a dominant 113-78 win at home. For the season, Walker averages 23 points per game to go with 4.2 rebounds and 5.4 assists per game, along with improved field goal and three-point shooting percentages. These statistics have led many to believe that Walker is very much worthy of an All-Star selection. He will definitely be in consideration, given his numbers are very similar to reigning NBA MVP Steph Curry, who has already been selected as a starter for the All-Star game. If he is added to the East roster, look for him to put on a show next month in New Orleans.

Chris Hanna is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at christopher.hanna@uconn.edu. He tweets @realchrishanna