Hartford campus bookstore: Plans in the works

University of Connecticut and Barnes & Noble Representatives are working towards the new Hartford Campus Bookstore, which is set to be a 11,150-square foot space and will be located on the ground floor of the Front Street Lofts building, directly across from the main entrance to the campus. The bookstore will open in early August, as the new campus also prepares to open for the fall 2017 semester. (Amar Batra/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut and Barnes & Noble Representatives are working to begin plans for the new Hartford Campus UConn Bookstore to accompany the new Hartford Campus.

Governor Dannel P. Malloy and area legislators will join the representatives on Wednesday at 10 a.m. on the South Side of the Front Street Lofts Building to outline plans for the new store.

The building, which is set to be a 11,150-square foot space, will be located on the ground floor of the Front Street Lofts building, directly across from the main entrance to the campus. The bookstore will open in early August, as the new campus also prepares to open for the fall 2017 semester.

The bookstore will feature a Starbucks franchise, as well as a food outlet similar to the grab-and-go sites on the Storrs campus, University Spokesperson Stephanie Reitz said. Reitz said there are several restaurants in the area that will benefit from the new traffic, but a closer and more convenient option also seemed ideal.

Reitz predicts about 2,300 students will attend the new campus, along with 300 faculty and staff members.

With Hartford’s current economy, the new UConn campus could have a substantial positive effect.

“President Susan Herbst and others at UConn have said throughout the process that we want this campus to be a catalyst for more downtown growth,” Reitz said. “As a university, we know our students’ education is greatly enhanced by their ability to take advantage of cultural and educational amenities in the city – such as the Wadsworth Athenaeum Museum of Art and the Hartford Public Library – and the campus is expected to draw a significant number of people to local businesses as well. It’s a bit of a cliché to say it, but this is truly a win-win.”

Claire Galvin is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at claire.galvin@uconn.edu.