Former UConn head coach Diaco now on Twitter

Ex-UConn football coach Bob Diaco has taken to Twitter as a part of his new role as the defensive coordinator for the Nebraska Huskers. (Jackson Haigis/The Daily Campus) 

With national signing day just a week away, Diaco’s account will certainly be active right up until the Feb. 1 deadline.

A few weeks after accepting the defensive coordinator job at Nebraska, former UConn head coach Bob Diaco has now entered the Twittersphere.

Diaco’s account surfaced on Twitter Monday night with the handle @CoachDiaco. He fired off his first tweet just before 7 p.m. that day, which read “Fired up and ready to go. #GBR.” As of mid-Tuesday, Diaco has already amassed over 10,000 followers.

Like many coaches on Twitter, it’s unlikely that Diaco will be firing off tweets on his own, as an intern or staffer will probably be running the account. More and more coaches have joined social networking sites as of late due to a change in NCAA regulations that went into effect Aug. 1, 2016, which allows coaches to retweet and/or like tweets from recruits. Even after joining the Cornhuskers’ staff so late in the recruiting process, Diaco has pledged to be involved in any capacity on the recruiting trail, and this is a logical step. Many coaches on UConn’s new staff under Randy Edsall, such as linebacker’s coach Jon Wholley, have accounts that they use for this purpose. So far, the only people Diaco follow are the Nebraska athletics and football accounts along with most of Cornhuskers’ positional coaches.

While Diaco may not be at the helm of his new Twitter account, he has continued to produce his fair share of interesting quotes to the media at Nebraska. Time will tell whether Diaco’s media antics make their way on to his personal account, but the new coordinator’s quotes have already made waves with Nebraska media.

With national signing day just a week away, Diaco’s account will certainly be active right up until the Feb. 1 deadline

Dan Madigan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus, covering football and women's basketball. He can be reached via email at daniel.madigan@uconn.edu. He tweets @dmad1433