Lazy Boy on Campus: Get involved on campus, you'll be glad you did

"Lazy Boy On Campus" is a weekly column on how to embrace laziness while maintaining a jam packed schedule. Easy, right?

The spring semester Involvement Fair took place on Jan. 25, 2017. There are over 600 clubs and organizations for students to join at UConn. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

Now that you’ve been back for a week, you have probably reached the same conclusion that I have: college is hard. We take hours upon hours of classes every single week and that is not counting all of the extra study we do outside of the classroom. With all of the work we have to do, it sometimes seems like all we do is learn. Now I’m not saying that I don’t get that. We are all here to get an education and so the bulk of our time should be based around learning, either in the classroom or at home. But that shouldn’t take up all of our time.

Anyone who has followed this column in the past knows that I am a constant supporter of being lazy in one’s daily life. I mean this column is literally titled “Lazy Boy on Campus” so it makes sense that “laziness” is something that I am very happy to include in my life. For the record, when I say, “being lazy,” I do not mean wasting time. Being lazy is just taking a break from whatever craziness is going on in your life. It’s time where you just step back and opt to not deal with whatever is going on for a little while.  

As I’m sure many of you are aware, the involvement fair was yesterday in Gampel Pavilion. There were hundreds of clubs in attendance that had interests available for every single student. Up until now, every single point that I’ve made in this column might seem a little abstract, but I promise it is all going to come together. You ready? Here it is: be lazy and join a club.

I can already hear you calling me a hypocrite. How can one take a break from the world by joining a club? The point of these clubs is to give you a break from school. Most clubs require very little work and realistically all you have to do is show up. You can make new friends and continue a hobby that you probably did not think you had time for. It’s that break you always craved but never had the chance to really act on.

There are over 600 clubs and organizations at UConn. You can bet that there will be something you are interested in. Being involved on campus is a huge part of college. It’s not more work to add a fun little break to your schedule.

And who knows, the club you join could change the way you look at your future. Take me for example, I’m a math-stats major who is planning to go into journalism and getting involved at UConn opened up that career path for me. I came into UConn obsessed with math and enrolled into the actuarial science career track. My biggest hobby, however, was something very different: photography. My sophomore year, I joined the Daily Campus and the Photography Club. Both organizations allowed me to take a break from the rigors mathematics and finance and instead exercise my creative side. Eventually I decided that this could be the best career for me. Taking that little break and getting away from my classes allowed me to discover what the best course of action was for me.

People (and by that I mean your parents) have probably told you that college is the best time of your life. That might not be totally true, but college is a super informative time for yourself. You develop and change in so many ways. Getting involved in college is a simple, fun way to both be lazy and live your college life to the fullest.

Amar Batra is a senior staff photographer and opinion’s staff columnist for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email amar.batra@uconn.edu. He tweets at @amar_batra19.