UConn plans 17th-annual graduation trip to Europe

The university is currently in the works of planning it's 17th annual trip to Europe for graduates. Anyone interested can receive information from the Alumni Center. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

University of Connecticut Senior Events is planning its 17th-annual graduation trip to Europe this summer. The deadline for enrollment is Feb. 15, and the trip is anticipated to run from May 15 to May 25.

The European trip is open to all graduating seniors who are interested in participating. The primary organizer for the trip is associate director of alumni events Jessica Sokol, and the trip is organized through the vendor, Alumni World Tour.

“The current senior trip, which has been a tradition for over 10 years, is the classic Europe graduation trip or often seen advertised as ‘senior trip to Europe,’” UConn Senior Events intern and eighth-semester communication major Kassi Montenegro said. “We have over 12 students enrolled right now and it’s a pretty diverse group.”

The itinerary of the senior trip spans four to five different European countries, and it includes visiting several notable historical landmarks.

“This trip starts in London, then goes to Paris, the French Riveria, Rome, Vatican City, those are the main inclusions on the trip,” Montenegro said. “You can also extend it to go to Pompeii and the Greek Isles of Athens.”

Features of the European trip include hotel accommodations and access to museums. The trip includes stops at Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, the Eiffel Tower, the Palace of Versailles and the Sistine Chapel. Additionally, there are multilingual tour guides to assist in the program as well.

“The hotels we stay in are nice – they’re not hostels – and all the transportation between countries is provided,” Montenegro said.

While many students opt to pursue their own graduation destinations, or begin work immediately after graduation, reception is generally positive towards the opportunity of a senior trip.

“As long as it’s both an affordable and exciting experience for UConn alumni, I think it’s a great idea,” eighth-semester physiology and neurobiology major Shabaz Khan said.     

The senior trip costs $2,845 per person, which does not include costs associated with airfare. Additionally, the extended trip, which ends in Athens rather than Rome, costs $3,610.

“People have generally enjoyed it,” Montenegro said. “You can do what you want to do and it’s not a very strict guided tour. There’s a lot of freedom to explore cities.”

Seniors that are interested in going on the tour can receive more information from the Alumni Center.

Fatir Qureshi is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at fatir.qureshi@uconn.edu