A power disruption occurred at the University of Connecticut Storrs campus at about 3 p.m. Thursday after a high-voltage box on Glenbrook Road began to emit smoke, according to university spokeswoman Stephanie Reitz.
“There was a power disruption earlier today for about 20 to 30 seconds,” Reitz said. “It affected several buildings in campus core.”
Auditorium Road, a portion of Glenbrook Road behind the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts and near the Arthur B. Bronwell building, closed in response to the high-voltage box emitting smoke, Reitz said.
“We don’t know yet why the high voltage box was smoking,” Reitz said around 6:15 p.m. Thursday. “(UConn) facilities and maintenance is working on it now.”
UConn police received a call about the high-voltage box emitting smoke, Reitz said.
“We don’t know if it was a passerby or an employee who called,” Reitz said.
Electricity was turned off to Jorgensen and Wood Hall after the 3 p.m. power disruption, Reitz said.
“The power was still live to the transformer, so we didn’t want any surges or to take any chances,” Reitz said.
Reitz said that she had not yet been informed if power had been restored to Jorgensen or to Wood Hall around 6:15 p.m. Thursday.
“No classes were canceled in Wood Hall because classes were over (in Wood Hall) for the day when this happened,” Reitz said.
Glenbrook Road will reopen once mechanical repairs to the high voltage box are completed, Reitz said at about 4:30 p.m. Thursday, but “people can still get to the infirmary.”
“Then (when mechanical repairs are completed) the police and fire department can clear the scene,” Reitz added.
Reitz said that she had not been told as of 6:15 p.m. Thursday how bus service had been impacted by the closure of a portion of Glenbrook Road.
“There are alternate routes for the buses in such cases,” Reitz said.
Alexandra Retter is staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.