Track and Field: Huskies head to the Big Apple

The UConn men's track and field team is preparing for the Columbia East-West Challenge following a a disappointing second-place finish in a meet last week. (Zhelun Lang/The Daily Campus) 

Coming off a disappointing performance, the UConn men’s track and field team is heading to their second home in New York City to find the magic of Huskies past.

UConn traveled to Rhode Island last weekend to participate in the Sorlien Invitational only to come out with an underwhelming performance. UConn finished in second behind the University of Rhode Island Rams. Most programs this would be an acceptable result, not this one.

“Very disappointing loss today,” coach Greg Roy said.

UConn will hope to get some of their regulars back for this weekend as they will surely need it. The Columbia East-West Challenge will bring together some of the best programs from across the nation to compete this weekend. The Huskies will face several teams including No. 2 Oregon, No. 22 Cornell, UCLA, Pennsylvania and others.

“Hats off to Columbia head coach Dan Ireland for pulling it all together. In Oregon and UCLA, you bring in Pac-10 powerhouses that between them have won 15 NCAA team national championships. The Ivy League is a great track and field conference, producing many great individuals…,” Roy said about The Columbia East-West Challenge.

If UConn wants to come out of this competition as the winner, they will need either some of their regulars to return or their replacements to step up big time. As well, they will need the athletes that have been producing all season to continue to produce at this event. Craig Hunter, a senior captain, will be looking for his third consecutive first place finish in the pole-vault, while another senior captain, Chinedu Amonu, will be looking for a better finish than last week as he came in fourth place in the 60m dash. Sophomore runner Kyle Trocki will try to build off his first collegiate victory in the 500m.

The Columbia East-West Challenge takes place Friday and Saturday.

Kenny Beardsley is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kenneth.beardsley_iii@uconn.edu.