Women’s Hockey: Huskies take on Vermont in weekend series

UConn Women's Hockey forward Rebecca Lindblad (8) fights for the puck in the beginning of their game against Northeastern University. The UConn Huskies lost 3-2 in the Freitas Ice Forum in Storrs, CT on Friday, Jan 20, 2017. (Owen Bonaventura/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team returns to action to take on the University of Vermont this weekend in a two-game series at Freitas Ice Forum. The Huskies (11-12-3) are 6-9-1 against Hockey East rivals, while Vermont is 6-5-5.

These two teams have already met once this season in Burlington. The game ended in a tie after overtime.

“I’m expecting some close games, with solid goaltending and special teams,” UConn head coach Chris MacKenzie said.

Vermont (10-9-7) has split the role of goalie between senior Madison Litchfield and sophomore Melissa Black. Expect to see them both in this series. Litchfield is 5-3-4, while Black is 4-5-3. They have a combined 641 saves. Across the ice, UConn goalie Annie Belanger has had an impressive season so far. She is currently 8-10-3 with 633 saves in the 22 games she has played this season.

The Catamounts’ leading scorers are Eve-Audrey Picard with 17 points and Bridget Baker with 12 points, each having scored nine goals. Alyssa Gorecki is another scoring threat who has eight goals and eight assists so far this season, putting her second in points for the team with 16.

UConn’s leading goal scorer, Leah Lum, is coming off an incredible weekend series. She scored three goals against Northeastern, bringing her season to 14. Not to go unnoticed is the season of Briana Colangelo, who has seven goals and 13 assists for the Huskies.

This is the first series UConn has played at home in a few weeks. The Huskies, to this point, have been playing better on the road, going 7-5-1 compared to 4-6-1 at Freitas Ice Forum.

“Hey, we’re excited to have a home series this weekend,” MacKenzie said. “They’ve had a solid season this year and will be a challenge for us.”

UConn is hoping to bounce back and improve their Hockey East record, after being swept in their weekend series with Northeastern.

“Although we haven’t had the results, our recent play has improved,” MacKenzie said.

UConn takes on Vermont at 7 p.m. on Friday and at 2 p.m. on Saturday at Freitas Ice Forum. During the game Saturday, the men’s hockey team will be at Freitas for a signing. Following the game there will be a skate alongside the women’s and men’s teams.

Rachel Schaefer is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.schaefer@uconn.edu