How UConn does the Super Bowl

Workers attach a sign to the front of NRG Stadium as preparations continue for the NFL Super Bowl 51 football game Sunday, Jan. 29, 2017, in Houston. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

It’s what I like to call America’s greatest unofficial holiday: Super Bowl Sunday.

Whether you’re a football fan or not, you’re going to that party and eating those wings and nachos, you’re watching the commercials and halftime show, and you’re all going to talk about it on Monday morning.

Celebrating the Super Bowl in college can be a bit of a challenge if you’re not old enough to go to the bar. You can’t cook your own food in a dorm and you have to keep the beer consumption on the down-low. But that’s not to say you can’t still have a Super Bowl Sunday just as good as anyone else’s.

“When we lived in the dorms, it used to be everyone on the floor was screaming about the game and people would all congregate,” Kyle Awad, tenth-semester history and anthropology double major, said.

Watching in a dorm can actually make watching the game more fun because you’re close to so many other people, according to Zach Morin, sixth-semester material science engineering major.

“The whole hallway lit up. Everyone was screaming,” Morin said of watching last year’s Super Bowl in Hamilton Hall at Towers.

There are Super Bowl trademarks every year. You need the greasy food and good drinks. Everyone gathers for the halftime show. The commercials, too, are always a topic of discussion the next day.

Morin said his favorite Super Bowl food is chili stuffed peppers.

“You take a bell pepper and use that as the bowl. It’s so good. Get a little bit of melted cheese on top so it browns in the last five minutes,” Morin said.

Skyler LaKose, sixth-semester mechanical engineering major, said his favorite snack is nachos.

“There’s gotta be spicy peppers,” LaKose added.

As for favorite drinks during the Super Bowl, beer is definitely the consensus.

Morin said his favorite is either Corona Extra with a lime or Coors and LaKose usually picks Yuengling or Not Your Father’s Root Beer.

“Just good old-fashioned light beer,” Awad said, of his favorite beverage to drink during the game.

While Lady Gaga is performing at this year’s halftime show, there’s a long list of talented performers who have taken the field over the years.

LaKose and Morin agreed their favorite show was when The Black Eyed Peas performed with Slash of Guns ‘N’ Roses in 2011.

“That was the best one. They started ‘Sweet Child O’ Mine’ and Slash rose up from the stage,” LaKose said.

Awad said his favorite show was last year’s with Coldplay.

“It was well-done. There wasn’t anything embarrassing… No poor singing. Queen Bey was there,” Awad said, referencing Beyonce’s guest appearance at the halftime show.

As far as commercials, Budweiser’s Super Bowl commercials have been iconic for years.

“In general, the Budweiser commercials are always pretty good, even if their beer is trash,” LaKose said.

No matter where you are and what you’re eating or drinking, there’s always a way to celebrate Super Bowl Sunday, especially at UConn.

Schae Beaudoin is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at schae.beaudoin@uconn.edu.