Letter to the Editor: The blended burger is an outrage

Dear Editor, 

I am a UConn student who is absolutely enraged at the new “blended burger” concept the university has decided to force upon the student body. Yes, it is a healthier burger that uses less water to produce, but I believe I speak for the vast majority of the UConn community when I say, “Where’s The Beef!?” 

For those who do not know, the blended burger consists of 50% mushroom and unfortunately tastes like it. Most people I have come in contact with, including dining hall staff members and managers, absolutely cannot stand the taste of this new patty and are outright rejecting it in droves. In past semesters, a hamburger would be a reliable, consistent choice among students when the dining hall had scarce options, but most students now find their options even more limited because they just don’t like the blended burger. If you haven’t tried it yet, give it a shot and you’ll see exactly what I mean. 

Us UConn students could very safely assume this was a move made by executives at the University— you know, the ones that don’t eat at dining halls— to save money. There is no way anyone in their right mind could opt for a decidedly worse tasting product if it wasn’t cheaper to buy. Also, it makes UConn look better because it is a healthier burger (but remember, we still have veggie patties available). It was a win-win for Susan and co., and a loss for all hamburger-loving Huskies. When fast food joints such as McDonalds and Wendy’s could produce a better quality hamburger, it just shows how low UConn will go to save money. 

There is still hope, however. We can still change this course. Huskies, continue to choose alternative options and stay away from this inferior patty. Write to Susan, call dining hall managers, and contact any executive you could get a hold of demanding to know the million-dollar question: “Where’s the Beef!?” 

Sincerely, 

Robbie Rende
A Husky who cannot locate the beef.