Men’s Track: West bests Huskies

The UConn men’s track and field team could not pull away from the pack this week at the Columbia East vs. West Challenge, finishing in fourth overall as a team.

The Huskies finished behind UCLA, in third place, No. 22 Cornell, in second, and No. 2 Oregon in first. The Huskies were only a miniscule 10 points behind UCLA. Looking just at these final standings, most might feel that this weekend was an unsuccessful one, but the Huskies made a lot of strides in a field of programs that was filled with talent.

“Oregon was clearly in a different league,” UConn coach Greg Roy said of the weekend’s victors.

The numbers from the weekend back up Roy’s statement, as the Ducks finished first in seven of the 19 events over the weekend, including events such as the 60m dash, the 200m dash and the 4x400m dash.

Even without a top team finish, the Huskies had many positive individual performances.

“We made progress on a lot of fronts,” Roy said about the team’s performance over the weekend.  

Roy spoke of many places in which individuals made clear steps in the right direction. Foremost was senior captain Chinedu Amonu, who made strides and got a shout out from Roy.

“Chinedu had a really good meet with three very solid races,” Roy said about the captain’s weekend performance.

There were many other athletes that put together noteworthy performances. Craig Hunter was coming off two straight first place finishes in the pole-vault and finished in second this weekend. Stephon Henry was another Husky that put together a solid performance, competing to the bitter end in the 60m hurdle and finishing in second place. Henry came just .03 seconds behind first place finisher Misana Viltz from UCLA. Overall, there were many positives to take away from this weekend for the Huskies, who look to continue to put out good performances.

UConn won’t race again until Friday, Feb. 3, when they travel to Harvard in Boston, Mass. to participate in the Crimson Elite competition.    

Kenny Beardsley is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kenneth.beardsley_iii@uconn.edu.